What Education Majors Are Tired Of Hearing

And what to say instead...

27
Mindful Schools

Ever since I was little I knew I wanted to work with children, so naturally teaching quickly became my ideal job. I've been happy with this decision for many years, and I don't plan on changing my mind anytime soon. Other people, however, aren't so content with my choice. Not because they think I'll make a bad teacher or because they disrespect teachers, but because they can't comprehend why I would voluntarily spend my days with children. Over the years I have collected a list of the three things us education, especially elementary education, majors are tired of hearing. I've also complied a list of alternative responses to use instead.

"Why would you choose to work with Rugrats/ankle-biters/kids?"

This is always the first question people ask when I say I'm an elementary education major. My answer? Because I love them, it's that simple. Yes, I understand teaching is not for everyone, and not everyone enjoys spending time with young children, but I do. We need people like me and my fellow education majors, otherwise there wouldn't be anyone to educate our children. Since I have fun working with children, and I'm pretty good at it, then why wouldn't I choose to work with them? Instead, say something like: "I'm glad you want to work with little kids, because I know I couldn't!" This way you can get your point across, but we teachers don't feel disrespected.

"You aren't going to make any money."

Everyone knows teachers don't make a lot of money, especially education majors, so there's no reason to continually remind us. The average salary of an elementary teacher in the United States is less than $45,000. I agree that this number is small, and most teachers deserve way more, but teachers don't teach for the money. Teachers teach because it's what we're called to do. I could wake up tomorrow and win the lottery and be set for life, but I'd still teach. My advice is to simply stop mentioning salary to an education major because we all have already accepted it and moved on.

"It's going to be hard to find a job."

Actually, there is a shortage of teachers in America, and it's one of the most consistent in-demand jobs. There will always be more children needing an education, which means there will always be a need for teachers. It's expected that by 2018 the amount of teachers employed in the United States will have grown by 13% since 2008. Also, before education majors graduate, we have to complete student teaching and practicums, which requires us to be in an actual school with students. These programs often lead to connections resulting in job offers. So next time say something like, "What area are you hoping to teach in? How is the demand?" Lots of times, we already know where we want to teach and have calculated our odds of getting hired.

Education majors are always happy to talk about why we want to become a teacher, because we all have different reasons. But we appreciate it when your questions and comments don't have such a negative connotation to them. And who knows, maybe your child will end up in our class one day!

Sources:
http://teach.com/why-teach/the-demand-for-great-te...
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/All_K-12_Teach...