What Does "You Can Do Better" Really Mean?

Only you know what "better" is for you.
5303

It seems like all the time people say to another person "you can do better" when things don't go the way they are planned. Whether with a job, boy, or friends when someone screws you over or you don't take a better job people automatically think "you can do better." But what does that even mean? How is someone else's "better" the same as yours and how do they know that you don't think what you have is good enough for you.

"You can do better" is such a simple yet complex saying. With a friend or a boy, for example, if you are better looking then him, treat him better than he treats you, or he does something that hurts you, the moment you vent to your friends they automatically say "you can do better" to save you from getting hurt more. Just because someone makes a mistake doesn't automatically mean you are settling in a relationship.You do want the best for you, but it doesn't mean leaving him will solve anything and it doesn't mean you will find better.

The same goes for a job, everyone thinks if you don't take a job offer that seems "better" than the one you took it is looked upon as if you are settling. How can someone else know what is "better" for you or how do they know what the actual definition of "better" is? It is all a matter of opinion and this opinion should be kept to ourselves.

Everything that comes our way that isn't ideal turns out to be us just being able to do "better" in someone else's mind. There is no set definition on what is better for a certain person, so why should others put in your mind "you can do better?" People seem to think they know how our lives should go and what we need to do to be happy, when no one truly knows what will make us happy except for our selves. Sometimes we do pick the wrong thing and realize situations were not good for us, but this is what needs to happen for us to figure out who we are, what we want and what our "better" actually is.

You don't have to have the perfect job, the perfect guy or the perfect anything, but as long as you are comfortable and content with your life and who is apart of it than you have achieved your "better". The unknown of certain situations is all part of the excitement and rush of figuring out your life. Overthinking others opinions on what is better for you will only bring stress. No one knows what makes you happy and what is good/bad for you except for you. We need to do what feels right for us in the moment and we all just have to remember everything will work out they way that they should.