What Does The Future Hold For Us?

What Does The Future Hold For Us?

"Don't spend so much time thinking about it, because if you do, you'll miss out on what's happening right now."

3423
Walltor

Just last night as I was closing up at my job, a strange thought came to my mind, What if in the future, I drop out of college? What if I never finish college? It was just a random thought, but the scary thing was, I would never know until it actually happened. Then I started to wonder, What if I never went to college in the first place? What if I just had a job and was living on my own? I knew the answer immediately: I would feel lonely. I would be scared to put myself out there. I would have been hurtling myself into a crazy new world, where I would feel like I would have to be entirely dependent on myself, being a new adult.

Every once in a while, I sit back and deeply think about what my future is going to be like. I ask common questions like, Where am I going to live and what is my house going to look like? Who am I going to marry and what are my kids going to be like? Then the big question comes up: What if someone across the world is thinking about the exact same thing right now? That's when I have to draw back and stop thinking too much about the subject and wonder if I am the only person who does this.

The point that I'm trying to make is that every one of us doesn't know what their future holds. Some of us make plans for our future, but life always gives us curveballs that leads us astray for a while before we get back on our self-made pathway. Life doesn't always turn out the way we expect it to. The answer is to not think about it too much, otherwise we'll miss out on what is going around us in the present. Sometimes my dad and I get on this topic, and when it's first mentioned, it feels hard not to think about it, but like my dad always says, "Don't spend so much time thinking about it, because if you do, you'll miss out on what's happening right now."

As I write this, I sit at my desk in my bedroom, looking out my window. Outside is a palm tree, its branches rustling in the wind. I can see all the other houses in my neighborhood. I have the window open so that the cool breeze can fill my room. Someday I'm not going to have that view anymore. Soon, I'm going to be moving out of my childhood home, away from my family when I transfer to a new college and move into a dorm or a nearby apartment. Or I stay living at home when I transfer and don't move out until I get married. I can't foresee my own future, but whatever happens, I want to make the most out of the life I was given. I want to look back and not have any regrets. My only question is, what is my life going to be like?