What A Feminist Really Is

What A Feminist Really Is

A female feminist is not her physical appearance.

98
What A Feminist Really Is

Feminism is so much more than a hashtag or a fad. Feminism is about fighting for the equality and full humanity of all women. It is wrong that such a concept is considered ‘controversial’ or even something that ‘needs to be considered.’ Some do not understand or become offended by feminists/feminism and jump to making generalizations about what a feminist is.

There are plenty of men who consider themselves feminists but most of the backlash is towards the physical appearance of female feminists. According to some people, a feminist is ‘a woman with hairy armpits’ or ‘a woman with a short temper and a deep hatred for men’. In response to this, some women have uploaded photos of themselves with the inclusion of the hashtag, #ThisIsWhatAFeministLooksLike. A lot of these tweets are actually rather counterproductive; a woman’s belief in equality for her gender should not have to be defended by her beauty. This being said, this is what a true female feminist looks like.

A woman who respects herself on her own terms. Just because the way one woman respects herself is not the same way society thinks she should, does not mean she does not respect herself at all. A woman’s morals are made up of her own ideas and beliefs and should not be restricted by what society thinks is right or wrong. A woman should not be judged by how many men she has relations with or how she defines her sexuality because this private information really isn’t anybody’s business to begin with. No one should have the authority to tell a woman what she should or should not do concerning her own body.

A woman who fights for equality for all women. A feminist believes that all women are worthy of equality in society and the workplace. According to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, in 2014, women full-time workers made only 79 cents for every dollar earned by men. African American and Latina women get paid even less than a white woman does in comparison. However, a feminist understands that feminism is more than closing the gender pay gap. A feminist understands that problems faced by white women are not the same for women of color. How a white woman experiences problems such as misogyny are not the standard of how all women are treated in these scenarios. A feminist also realizes that the plight of women extends far past her own nation and understands that there is work to be done elsewhere. Feminists fight for all women.

A woman who is redefining beauty. For too long, the standard of beauty is compared to the ‘ideal’/ ‘perfect’ European woman. There are all types of unique beauty in our world that are being severely underappreciated. Feminists understand all body types and skin tones are beautiful. We should no longer feel as though we are not acceptable if we are not a certain weight or a certain skin color. A feminist embraces her unique beauty and appreciates the beauty of all other women of all shapes and ethnicities. Wearing makeup or not wearing makeup or wearing your hair natural versus processed does not make you more or less of a feminist or more or less beautiful; presenting yourself the way you wish to and respecting the way another woman presents herself is feminism.

A woman who dresses/presents herself as she pleases. No matter the attire, no woman is asking to be cat-called or worse, assaulted. To think an outfit choice is a self-attached bulls-eye is ludicrous. If a woman desires to dress in less clothing it does not mean she ‘should be weary of the consequences she has set herself up for’; how a woman dresses never equates to how she deserves to be treated.

A woman who uplifts fellow women. A feminist does not waste time belittling her fellow women. Women have it hard enough as it is, slander and judgment amongst women serves no progressive purpose. A feminist does not refer to other girls as ‘females’, or ‘hoes’ and disapproves when others do so. Women using this kind of language makes it easier for others to speak this way about women. As a collective, women are so capable and a feminist understands that putting our heads together is far more productive than discussing another woman’s outfit or sex life.

A woman who does not promote the hatred of men. A feminist is not a woman who overgeneralizes the male population; there are plenty of men that respect and appreciate women and help fight for equality. Plenty of men refrain from commenting on the actions of women or discriminate against them; while this behavior does not need to be rewarded, it can be recognized because it is proof that not all men are misogynistic. A feminist appreciates the good men and tries to inform the rest.

This, is what a female feminist looks like.