What Do Men Really Notice About Women At First Sight?

A look into the male brain

5773

It's a Friday night. You're at your favorite local bar having a good time with your friends when you notice a girl from across the room who you can't seem to stop starring at. You don't know what it is about her, but she is definitely different from other girls you have noticed in the past. Is it her smile? Her eyes? The way she is looking at you up and down from afar?

When it comes to the opposite sex, majority of women are most conscience about their looks when meeting a guy for the first time. They worry about what shoes to wear, if they should curl or straighten their hair, and if they should wear a dress or a skirt. Although these are some qualities that they think men will notice, do all men actually notice what women think they do? Are looks really all that men seem to notice at first sight? Clearly, every man is attracted to different qualities in a woman, whether it be the way they laugh, their sense of humor, or even the clothing they wear.

After surveying one hundred different men and learning about what they are most attracted to in a woman they first meet, here are the results below (presented in order from most common to least common response)

1. Sense of humor (19%)

2. Teeth/smile (16%)

3. Nice/kind (13%)

4.Smart (7%)

5. Confidence (7%)

6. Sense of style (7%)

7. Pretty face (7%)

8. Fun (6%)

9. Eyes (6%)

10. Eye contact (3%)

11. Mysterious (3%)

12. Boobs/Butt (3%)

13. Fit (3%)

After closely examining each male's answers and categorizing my information accordingly, I have come to the conclusion that men notice a woman's attitude and personality more than they notice a woman's physical qualities and looks, which was extremely shocking to me. According to my data, 58% of men notice women's personalities first, while 42% of men notice women's looks first. The most common answer among the 100 men was that they notice a woman's sense of humor first, which was 19%. Some of the answers that i received were surprising to me, because I didn't know that all men can be attracted to so many different qualities about a woman.

16% of men said they the first thing they notice about a woman is her teeth and her smile, which was the second most common answer among the 100 men surveyed. One man stated "You can tell a lot about a person the first time you see them smile," While another man stated "I'm a huge sucker for a girl who has a really nice smile. Like when a girl smiles and her eyes light up, that sort of thing."

13% of men said that the first thing they notice about a girl they just started talking to is if she is nice and kind. This statistic surprised me because it was the third most common answer, way before their physical looks. One man stated "If they're friendly and outgoing but seem modest and approachable,"
while another man stated "I love a girl who is sincere towards people and down to earth." This just showed me that the typical stigma placed on men isn't always true. Although from the results it is clear guys care about a pretty face, breasts, and so on, it is more important for majority of men to talk to someone who is kind hearted.

Although there were men who surprised me with their answers, there were some not so surprising answers as well. 7% of men said that the first thing they notice on a woman is her sense of style. One man stated "Definitely clothing. If I see a chick in a hot outfit i'm like wow." Along this 7%, another 7% of men stated that the first thing they notice in a woman is if she has a pretty face. One man said "I notice right away- are they ugly, average, pretty, mean, nice, bitchy, whatever...just from the overall face I make a judgment."

After examining the results of this survey, I am pleased to come to the conclusion that more men notice a woman's personality traits at first glance over a woman's physical traits. That being said, women are always so quick to change what they look like for men, whether it be adding on pounds of makeup, trying to lose more weight, or deciding if you should wear pink or purple nail polish. The takeaway from this survey is- DON'T! Don't ever try to change who you are to get a man's attention, whether it be your personality or your looks. Every man is attracted to something different. The guy who is attracted to a woman's body might have a friend who is attracted to a woman's laugh. Everyone finds different characteristics attractive, so don't change who you are for somebody else's liking. You never know when the right man will come along and like you for exactly who you are!