What Children Teach Us About Adulthood

What Children Teach Us About Adulthood

Jesus never tells children to grow up, but he tells adults to have that child-like nature.

11
What Children Teach Us About Adulthood
pinterest

I've noticed at times that as we grow older we often lose this sense of wonder that defined us as children. Have you ever noticed how children are always asking questions? They always want to know how things work and what causes things to function as they do. The nature of a child is to always explore and be authentic to themselves. It's with age that life forces that away. Children, though, speak honestly, learn intently, and are generally very forgiving. We often dismiss the child-like parts of ourselves as we grow older because we think we're "grown-ups." Children can actually teach us how to embrace it.

1. We should have a sense of wonder like a child

We should look at the world through this lens of wonder and exploration. We should strive to find the things of this world that fill us with wonder and giddiness. I remember, as a little kid, I stood over the mountains and felt like I was on top of the world. I felt so lucky to be looking over valleys and hills. Often times, as adults, we focus our world on the mundane and what's in front of us. Instead, we need to be like children who leave no rock uncovered. Only then will we see how insignificant our to-do list is.

2. We should have the honesty that children have

My favorite aspect of children is that they never quite understand the need for a filter. If something is unfair, they say so; if something is marvelous, they will exclaim with giddiness how marvelous it is. They don't believe in acting cool or pretending that something is alright when it is not. They do not hide their emotions and do not understand the containment of them. As adults, sometimes we put this fake persona on about our emotions, and we are afraid to be vulnerable around those we care about. No, we don't have to throw temper tantrums to receive attention, but it's okay for us to admit when something is wrong and understand that that kind of vulnerability is okay.

3. We should take on the forgiving nature of children

This goes along with the idea of being honest with ourselves and with others in how we are. Sometimes bitterness and pride get in the way of us connecting with each other. We miss out on true community because our pride tells us that someone has harmed us and we cannot connect with them. How often do our childlike natures wish to forgive the other person while our pride and ego hold us back? The forgiving loving nature is who we ought to be.

I've noticed in the Bible that Jesus never tells children to grow up, but instead he tells adults to have that child-like nature. Our Heavenly Father sees us as children who should be dependent on Him and that is what our nature should be.