10 Things I've Learned From Working With Children

They may not even know how to read or write, but the life lessons children can teach you are immeasurable.

53

Children offer a unique perspective that us old people won't ever be able to see. They rely solely on what they see and hear and make a simple conclusion based on it. They show us what's important in our lives without all the social pressures and noises us adults are exposed to.

1. Live unapologetically. 

Children, especially infants, have needs that only a caregiver can provide. Although adults eventually learn to handle their own basic survival needs, we still rely on others for help, and that's OK. We should stop feeling bad when we expect more from people. We need to stop apologizing over our mistakes. Life is a series of lessons that we will never live long enough to master.

2. Make the not-so fun parts of life fun.

Unsplash

Clean up time just downright sucks. Who wants to put away all those Legos you just spent hours constructing? Not me! So instead, let's sing a song about cleaning up and make it a game. We can learn from this. Maybe we REALLY don't feel like going to work. Maybe the gym just totally drains us, but we know it's good for us. So make it fun! Smile through it. Laugh at yourself. Find a way to enjoy it.

3. Take naps.

You know you want to. Don't feel bad about letting yourself sleep a little extra.

4. Forgive.

Unsplash

Have you ever seen a kid throw a Satanic-like tantrum when another kiddo steals their toy train? Not cute. About two minutes later, though, they are the best of friends. Learn from the kid, get over it!

Ask questions.

Have you ever been in the situation where you want to know the answer to something but you're afraid the question will look stupid or obvious? Same here. If only we could hide behind the vail of innocent child, huh.

Not everything is in black and white.

Teaching children can sometimes be difficult because explanations are not always as easy as they can understand. For example, I was trying to explain to the kids that they cannot walk in the street no matter what. Then, a biker cycled beside us and they asked why bikes were allowed in the road. Try to explain to a child that there are certain things adults do that they can't, they don't get it. They're FIVE for Pete's sake, they are mature now!

7. Life is worth getting excited over.

One of the greatest joys of being surrounded by children is the excitement they get over the simplest things. A 3-year-old boy was literally shaking when the firetrucks came to visit one afternoon. Let yourself experience excitement in its rawest, most innocent form.

8. Ice cream really IS that good.

Treat yourself some times! You know for sure that you want a second helping of the chocolate fudge ripple, so just get some.

9. Let learning excite you.

Unsplash

Some people have a fear that if they begin the journey of learning something completely new, they will fail or seem stupid. Not little kids! They ask what they are curious about and practice their little butts off.

10. Allow yourself to make wholesome, f-ed up mistakes.

I'm not talking about tripping up the stairs or butchering the pronunciation of a word. I'm talking an epic fail. Let yourself try something brand new like that Bodypump class and drop a weight loudly on the floor. Try and try until you learn!