What Avatar The Last Airbender Taught Me

3651

I found some of my favorite quotes and life lessons by simply watching Avatar The Last Airbender as a child. As I look back, I see that there is so much that Avatar teaches. Avatar is a very inspirational show because they managed to weave so many great things into an awesome story line.

Many quotes didn't strike me when I watched the show as a child but they did when I later went back and watched it again in my late teenage years. I believe that we draw a lot of life lessons from what we watch and I'm glad I learned from what is in my opinion an inspirational show.

I learned that we are all more alike than we thought.

"If you listen hard enough, you can hear every living thing breathing together, you can feel everything growing. We’re all living together, even if most folks don’t act like it. We all have the same roots, and we are all branches of the same tree." -Hue

I learned that there is hope in the darkest times.

“You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.” –Iroh

I learned that it's important to be well rounded.

“It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others, the other elements, and the other nations will help you become whole.” – Iroh

I learned that you need support from those you care about.

“While it is always best to believe in one self, a little help from others can be a real blessing.” –Iroh

I learned that revenge hurts both parties involved.

“Revenge is like a two headed snake. While you watch your opponent go down, you get poisoned yourself.“ –Aang

I learned that you have to keep living even if you don't know what's going to happen next.

“Life is like this tunnel sometimes. You can't always see the light at the end. But if you keep moving, you may come to a better place.” –Iroh

I learned that I believe you have to be selfless sometimes.

“I will never, ever turn my back on people who need me.”  -Katara

I learned that you need to never lose yourself in times of change.

“Remember this Zuko. No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are.” –Ursa

I learned that struggling only makes you stronger in the end.

“I don't need luck though, I don't want it. I've always had to struggle and fight and that's made me strong. It's made me who I am.” –Zuko