What Are You Doing This Summer?

What Are You Doing This Summer?

6
What Are You Doing This Summer?

When we were younger, winter break was full of relaxation and not a care in the world.  While there is still a sense of relaxation in breaks from college, there are still things that we need to think about before we go back to school.  I don’t know about you, but the biggest thing on my mind this break was what I’m going to be doing this summer.  Internships, study abroad programs and summer school are all viable options, but which one is right for you?

Internships:

Internships are important to have before you enter the job market after graduation because employers expect that you have some experience before they hire you.  Landing an internship is competitive and many programs have applications that are due during, or soon after, winter break.  Careerolina located on http://careers.unc.edu, a program through Career Services here at UNC-Chapel Hill, is a great resource when trying to find the perfect internship for you.  You can upload your resume, search for the type of internship you’re interested in and you find something that could work for you.

There are programs hosted by Carolina Career Services that are listed on the Event portion of the website.  From resume building classes to interview tips, these free options can help you gain an advantage in the professional world.

Study-Abroad Programs: Carolina has made it easy to find a study-abroad program on the Study Abroad portion of the UNC website.  You simply enter information about yourself−including what region you want to study in, your GPA and what field of study you want− and the program directs you in the right direction.  The website, http://studyabroad.unc.edu/studyabroad.cfm, also includes references to help you plan out your summer abroad.

Summer School: There are three different options of summer school here at UNC-Chapel Hill.  Maymester is a session that lasts for three weeks offering beginning in the middle of May.  Summer Session 1 begins the same time that Maymester starts but lasts for five weeks.  Session 2 is also for five weeks and lasts through the end of July.  Summer school is a great option if you want to knock out some of your prerequisite classes or if you want to take a few classes to improve your GPA.

Whatever it is you want to do this summer, Carolina has resources for you to use to find plan out the perfect summer.  Now’s the time for you to plan out your summer, good luck!