What are the Steps of the Patent Process in Invention?
News

Do you have a talent or "great" ideas that you would like to put into practice, but are you afraid that someone is doing the same thing as you?

61

Do you have a talent or "great" ideas that you would like to put into practice, but are you afraid that someone is doing the same thing as you? Undoubtedly, that is the "terror" of many digital entrepreneurs: that someone copies their ideas!

That is why, if you have been postponing your dream due to that reason, calm down, because you can register your invention to obtain the patent protection for the right of patents.

That you did not know?

Well, that's what we'll talk about in this post, showing you what you need to know to register, or patent, your invention! First of all, you have to know that ideas as such are not patentable and that you find out through the requirements of patentability. Of course, these conditions change depending on the country where you are, so in this post, we will offer you the main fundamental steps of the patented process.

1. Make sure your idea is not already registered

First, answer the following questions:

• Do the modifications that I have been making in my (product, machine, and process) improve what I do or is there in the market?

• Do the best ones that I have put into practice solve technical problems of operation, use, efficiency, and costs?

Then, perform the following steps to find out if it is possible to patent your invention:

• Identification of the characteristics of the invention

• Drafting of a patent document

• Presentation of the application before the responsible entity

2. Make a patent application

It is important to submit the application before publicly disclosing the details of the invention ideas , because, in general, all inventions published before the application can be considered as part of the state of the art.

In countries where the definition applies, public disclosure would prevent patented as it violates the novelty requirement. However, in some countries, there is a grace period, usually from 6 to 12 months.

In addition, you also have to verify the documents you must submit. That part is quite important because it implies:

• Application duly completed and signed, in four copies.

• Proof of payment of the fee. Original and 2 copies.

• Description of the invention.

• Claims.

• Technical drawing (s), if applicable.

• Summary of the description of the invention.

3. Wait for the publication of your application

After having entered the formal patent application, you have submitted the documents and paid the patent deposit, you should only wait for the publication of your application.

4. Request your patent application exam

Even if your project has gone through the previous process, you still do not have the patent. You need to ask for the patent exam from a patent examiner who will evaluate your idea. At that time other people can answer the patent of your invention idea and present evidence against the registration.

5. Do not forget to pay annual fees

In addition to the official filing fees that apply in each country, after the patent office grants the same, maintenance or renewal fees have to be paid, usually once a year, in order to keep the patent in force.

Normally, payments are made before the corresponding annual period begins. The due date for the payment corresponds to the anniversary of the date of presentation of the patent application.

.