What Actually Happens When You Compliment Someone

It's the gift that keeps on giving

1049
Chelsea Jones

With the constant need to stay connected to society through social media and the ever-quickening pace of this society, it is becoming easier and easier to get off-track from your goals and discouraged in your purpose. It’s hard enough to survive this life when you’re in college and attempting to figure out your purpose, yet, the truth of it is, is that there is no magical potion that makes it easier when you do in fact figure out your purpose. The struggle to remain positive and on track still remains.

So, I ask you, how do we do it? How do we stay on track? What’s the answer? How can we keep from falling off the wagon so many times that we’re too bruised and battered to get back up and keep trying?

Compliments.

When most people, specifically females, think about giving and receiving compliments, we are usually either attempting to make friends, solve problems with an enemy, or clearing up any awkwardness form past experiences. However, I’m here to tell you about the real things that happen when you compliment someone, and I’m not just talking “Oh, girl, I love you shoes; they go perfect with that outfit!” I’m talking about true, down-to-the-core, genuine compliments from the heart.

Teaching is the current profession that I find myself in and find myself becoming more and more passionate about; however, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t days where I feel inadequate at what I do, how I do it, and the passion with which I do it. Today, I was complimented on my teaching skills. I was told, by an adult much older than myself, that she would have loved to have me as a teacher and enjoys being in my classroom (as my special education aid) each and every day. She even went as far to say that she hopes to see more teachers with energy and methods like mine. Now, I think there are many effective ways to teach, and, it is my hope, that I am spending my daily periods practicing those effective methods that best fit my personality. The wonderful part of teaching is that there are many right ways to succeed. The point of this is that this compliment revived me; it brought life back to my teaching senses. All of a sudden, I was fueled by this passion and desire that I know stirs around in my heart on a daily basis but has troubling finding its way out due to the craziness of life.

And you know what? This compliment did not just bring the passion and confidence back to my ability to teach, but to other areas of my life as well.

You see, when you compliment someone…and I mean truly compliment someone for what they’re doing an excellent, heart-filled job at, you revive them. You breathe life back into the lungs of the dreams and desires that get suffocated from the need to stay healthy, please others, exercise daily, be the head of this club, lead this organization, be at practice on time, and so on and so forth. Life will always be crazy, and I think that’s the beauty of it; however, without positive vibes consistently flowing through your life from the people around you, it can be all too easy to fall into the trap of the mundane.

Life is not mundane.

Life is purposeful.

When you compliment someone, you ignite the spark that says, “Hey, you can do great at whatever you put your heart into.” Right now, my heart is in teaching, and, thanks to a sweet coworker of mine, I was reminded today that, with faith and love, I can succeed at anything I do with passion, love, and kindness.

I was reminded that my goals are important, and I can achieve them when I set my mind to it.

I was reminded that tasks done out of love far outweigh tasks done just to get finished.

I was reminded that it is worth it.

I was reminded that this life is meaningful, even when it’s not perfect.

I was reminded that I have something special, that I am something special, even when I don’t feel like it.

When you compliment someone, you take a risk—you risk changing the world for the better. You risk igniting someone else’s spark. You risk sending someone into a frenzy of doing good, achieving more, and being better. You risk spreading love and joy to others that you may never know about.

When you compliment someone, truly compliment someone on a job well done, even if it’s the tiniest of tasks, you are changing a life.

You never truly know what people are facing on the other side of their lives, but, when you compliment someone, you may just change the course of that person’s day…or life…forever.