Top 4 Halloween Places To Visit In West Virginia

Spooky season is the best time, especially in little ole West Virginia.

47
https://www.pexels.com/photo/jack-o-lantern-on-ground-3051523/

Every state has their own kind of spooky places that become major attractions during the Halloween season, but only those who live in that state really know about them. If you ever wanted to learn anything about West Virginia, now is the right time. West Virginia is full of historical buildings that are actually quite frightening. If you're in for a scare or even a little haunt, here are the top four places to visit in West Virginia during the Halloween Season.

West Virginia Penitentiary

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/life/haunting-history-moundsville-penitentiary-has-many-stories-to-tell/article_cc19cdc2-d849-5695-b5f2-4c074fce1980.html

Located in Moundsville, this penitentiary was in operation from 1867 to 1995. Numerous amounts of murders and inmates being tortured took place here, and is still haunted to this day. During the Halloween season, the prison throws events for the public such as haunted attractions and parties for kids. You can even get locked in a jail cell and have to spend the night if you're up for it.

Blennerhassett Island

https://wvstateparks.com/park/blennerhassett-island-historical-state-park/

This island isn't as scary as some of the other places around the state, but it is full of ghosts and history. Located on the Ohio River between Parkersburg, West Virginia and Belpre, Ohio, the island was taken over by Harlem and Margaret Blennerhasset who built their infamous white mansion on the property in 1797. Every Halloween, the island puts on an event where staff dresses up in costumes from the beginning time period and give people a tour of the mansion and the island itself. If you're lucky, you can catch a peak at the ghosts of Margaret Blennerhassett and an Indian warrior who once lived on the island.

Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-shutter21-2010feb21-story.html

Located in Weston, this asylum was once a hospital for the mentally ill. It was open from 1864 to 1994 when the hospital closed its doors for good due to inhumane patient treated. The hospital was originally named the Weston State Hospital, but got its change after it reopened as a tourist attraction. Now, people from all over come to take a tour of the haunted hospital in hopes to spot the ghost of a former patient who lost their life there.

Miller's Nightmare Haunted Farm

https://www.facebook.com/millersnightmare/photos/a.520056374778982/854588824659067/?type=1&theater

Miller's Haunted Farm is your typically haunted house and haunted farm adventure everyone likes to go to once a year during the Halloween season. Located in the southern part of the state in the city of Lewisburg, this farm offers a tour of Miller Manor, then a walk through the infected crop field, and if you survive all of that, a trip through the demented forest. This is the place to go to for the ultimate scare factor.

These places are open and ready to bring a fright into your life. If you decide to go, beware of what might happen. Happy Halloween!