Does My Girl Friend Like Me More Than Friends?

To Every Guy Ever, Just Because A Girl Is Nice To You That Doesn't Mean She's In Love With You

You don't need to DTR just because she told you to have a good day over text message.

94

It's an old-age saying, "guys and girls can't be friends". And I'm sorry, but it's bullshit.

Over the years, I've had a variety of guy friends who I thoroughly enjoy spending time with. We hang out in groups or one on one and things are never weird. There's no will-they-wont-they tension. It's simply spending time with someone who I have mutual interests with.

"I think she likes me," one of my guy friends said to me recently. "She texted me 'have a good day' this morning. That's a sign, right?"

Is that a sign? Since when? Since when is being a genuine human being a signal to wanting an intimate relationship with another person.

I've noticed a habit in my guy friends and it's such an established habit that I haven't even thought twice about it until recently. Most of my guy friends and I lose touch once they get a girlfriend. We'll go back to hanging out or sending each other memes once or if they break up, but once they find someone else to devote their time to, I fall on the back burner. Later, it's "she didn't like you" conversations or whatever. Because you know, a girl texting a guy 'have a good day' is basically cheating apparently.

I'm not here to drag the guys who act like this, I'm here to say, just because a girl is nice to you it doesn't necessarily mean she likes you romantically. She could just think you're a rad person and that should be socially acceptable. I have a strong disbelief in the phrase "guys and girls can't be friends" because it's only true if you make it true. If you decide to overthink everything a guy says to you and vise versa, then you're the one making things complicated. It works the other way around, too. Just because a guy is nice to you, it doesn't mean he's picking our an engagement ring.

Truly, wholeheartedly, if you are friends with someone and you want things to be more- tell them. Communicate how you're feeling and have that awkward conversation instead of making accusations that may be all in your head. It'll be over before you know it and you'll all be on the same page.

Nothing sucks more than receiving an "I actually really had a crush on you two years ago" text message when it's too late. Especially if you had similar feelings.

Speak your mind. Speak your truth. Say how you feel. Apologize if you messed up.
If you want the guy, go for the guy. If you want the girl, go for the girl. But until then, I promise a 'have a nice day' text message isn't speaking louder than you assume.