I Went To Get My Aura Reading In Chinatown

Aura Readings in Chinatown are my new favorite thing.

4539
Instagram: adrnnyp, Adrienne Yap

This weekend, my friend and I decided to get aura readings done in Chinatown. The store, tucked away between Centre St and Canal St is called Magic Jewelry and is relatively small. I took Ilene with me because we both shared an interest in mystical stuff like that and we were dying to know what kind of aura we had. Having shared stories about herself and how she had a tiny amount of intuition, I was excited to see how her aura would differ from mine.

As we rode the subway, she filled me in on what an aura actually was since I was kind of confused on it. Basically every living thing has an aura. It is the energy you give off, and each person has a different color aura. Some can have multiple colors, or just one color. What color your aura is says something about your character.

When we got there, the woman told us to sit on a wooden chair and place both hands on these huge crystals. She didn’t tell us why, but told us to close our eyes and clear our minds. Hesitant, I closed my eyes and sat in the chair waiting for something to happen. I opened them and she asked me, “Did you feel the crystals vibrating?” At first, I had thought that the vibrations were from the noise and movement from outside of the store. As I placed my hands on the crystals again and focused on the crystals, I was shocked to find that the vibrations were really from the crystals themselves. I checked to see if there was anything underneath the crystal that could be manipulating it, but there was nothing. It was just a huge crystal. She told me, “The crystals vibrate to help you align your chakra”. I was amazed.

This is the chair we sat in to align our chakras.

After that we waited in line to get our aura photos and readings. The store uses a special aura film to capture your aura, and you have to place your hands on two metal boxes while they take it. I was pretty nervous to take my aura photo because I literally had no idea what to expect. Once the film came out, my aura was completely different to Ilene’s. Hers was a combination of blue, green and indigo, and mine was...well very red.

Here is a picture of our aura readings.

I was pretty nervous because my aura looked pretty evil compared to Ilene’s which looked happy and bright but the woman laughed and told me there was nothing to worry about. She started with Ilene’s reading. She explained what the colors meant and told her stuff which was so accurate it was unnerving. She noted the indigo comes up on people who have some sort of intuition ability or are more in tune with themselves and others around them. These kind of people can pick up on the emotions of others easily and can get a sense of someone’s character within seconds of meeting them. The green part of her aura around her head meant she does a lot of thinking and has a lot of ideas and projects she wants to start but is more of an idealist than a realist. The pink aura around her chest meant she was loving toward others.

The woman moved on to my reading. She told me my red aura meant I was very grounded and realistic. She went to tell me that I was burning my energy out and needed to give my body more rest. The red can sometimes indicate stress levels when a person is staying up late, partying too much, and overall not looking after their body. What she said struck me as odd because I had in fact been working almost 9-10 hours every day this week and I had never been more exhausted. I also had an incident literally two days before where I had ended up in the hospital and had work the next day from 8 in the morning until 7pm and I was so tired and burned out from the entire week. She also said mentally, my aura was a little confused and unclear which also made sense. But she highlighted that a deep red aura means that I am also a very motivated person with a lot of goals. However, I should be careful not to obsess myself with work and material things which can happen with people that have red auras.

I asked her if people can change auras and she told me that for the most part, your aura does not change much. But she did go on to tell me the story of a student who came to her every year who always had a red aura like mine. Once she graduated and moved into her apartment and looked for jobs, her aura suddenly changed to green and blue, which indicated new opportunities. So it is possible to change your aura if there is a significant change in your life or you actively do things such as resting your body, meditating or eating healthy that can trigger changes in your aura.

If you’re into spiritual and intuitive things such as aura readings, Magic Jewelry is a very special store that is definitely worth checking out if you are in the area! I am planning to go again in December and see if my aura has changed since then.