Well We're Back... Now What?

Well We're Back... Now What?

How to avoid the boredom of being home.

5
Well We're Back... Now What?
Noe Perales

For someone who likes to stay constantly busy, staying home and watching Netflix all day everyday gets really boring really fast. I am officially home from my first year of college and have no idea what to do with myself. People spend so much time preparing us to move out and go away to school but what they don't do is prepare you to come home. The first week or so has felt like I'm waiting in limbo- none of my friends are home from school yet, my sisters and parents still have work and school, I don't start my summer job for another week, and all I've done up until this point is watch Netflix and clean the house repeatedly...

So what do you do when you're bored out of your mind, you have no one to hang out with, you have no homework or tests to study for, and you're *gasp* bored of Netflix?

Here are 10 ideas to help us get through the boredom:

1. Purge

Purge everything. Spend the time to go through your stuff and get rid of everything that doesn't fit or that you don't need anymore. You've been to college, you're a new person, get rid of things that don't serve you anymore.

2. Workout

Get out of the house!! If you're like me and like to stay active, then you can join a gym, walk your dogs, or just go for a jog.

3. Volunteer

You have nothing else to do, so you may as well be doing good in your community!

4. Cook

Try out some new recipes! If you're home all day by yourself then you have to eat at some point and this is a great way to find easy, dorm-friendly recipes for your next semester to help you avoid the cafeteria!

5. Take up a hobby

I'm trying to learn the ukulele, but I have friends that have taken up painting or some other fun hobby to pass the time.

6. Find something new to watch

Sometimes it's too hard to resist sitting on the couch all day, but if that's the case then find a cool movie that you've wanted to see for forever, instead of watching the same show that you've watched 6 times before.

7. Take your siblings or parents lunch

I know sometimes it's a hassle, but they missed you while you were away and would enjoy seeing your face in the middle of a potentially bleak and boring day of work and school.

8. Clean

Just do it so you don't have to when everyone gets home.

9. Read

I have always loved reading, but the summertime is generally the only time I have to do so. Get yourself a good, new book, a cup of tea, and have at it.

10. Discover new places

I've always enjoyed going for drives and you'll be surprised at what cool places you've never discovered even in your own home-town.