Why Working At Best Buy Is The Best And Worst Thing To Happen To Me

Best Buy is life.

11
Business Hours

Growing up, my family and I were pretty tech savvy and my dad liked to pay attention to all the new gadgets that would come out from time to time but technology was still new, and we didn't fully understand it's value or usage yet. Fast forward to May of 2015 when I get a job at the largest electronic retail company in the country, Best Buy. Now I came in to my job with what I would've considered a fairly intelligible understanding of technology. Since that time however, my knowledge of electronics and technical prowess have increased exponentially.

The best part about working at Best Buy is the constant exposure I have to all the new tech that is released and available now. From the sleek new Microsoft Surface Book, Samsung Virtual Reality, everything released by Apple, to the new UHD 4K televisions, I've seen and been exposed to all of it and I have to say, I've become absolutely obsessed with modern technology and I cannot get enough of it. New tech has become a focal point of my life ever since I started working here and I'm not ashamed to say that. I've developed familiarity with a a multitude of different devices and operating systems and I'd now consider myself extremely tech savvy. If any of my friends ever have technical issues, they tend to come to me with questions and for the most part, I am able to help them or guide them in the right direction to fix their issues. However, working here at Best Buy does have its downsides. Admittedly though, they really aren't that bad in the grand scheme of things.

The biggest problem with working here is the urge and temptation to buy every new product that hits the shelves. I mean yes, for some items I get a pretty solid discount but still I've spent so much many here and yet I've only worked here for a little over a year. Here is the number..... Are you ready? I've spent close to $,$$$ here at Best Buy since is started working here. Yes that is a 4 digit number, and yes there is a comma but I'm not going to actually tell you the price because quite frankly, that's a little too personal for me to share. But I will say it's a lot more than I should spend at this store. My apartment is a testament to my spending problem. From my new iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, my Samsung 50" JU7100 3D 4K UHD TV, the new Xbox One S that literally came out last week, high end router with hella high internet speeds, 40' TV in my room with sound bar, my Samsung Virtual Reality headset for my phone, to my vast collection of movies, my apartment is stacked with Best Buy products and I'm sure there'll be plenty more to come in the future. That's quite honestly the worst part of working here, is my spending habits. If I wasn't exposed to all this new shiny stuff on a day to day basis, my wallet wouldn't be quite so low.

Even with my high spending habits, I still manage my money well and live very comfortably in a nice apartment with my best friend. I haven't let my spending consume me and cause me to spiral down into a dark place and I can't get out of. I'm smart and methodical about my spending and I never make a purchase without calculating my funds and knowing for sure that'll I'll be fine if I make a relatively big purchase. In my mind, it's okay to go big every now and then as long as you can still pay for and provide the essentials because obviously a new iPad isn't essential to living comfortably. So if you've ever considered applying or working with Best Buy, just keep in mind that you may start to develop a yearning for new tech and that can be a very tempting and potentially dangerous thing, but the world is constantly evolving with new technology every day, and I just want to be a part of it.

P.S. I wrote this at work and I was instructed to give a shoutout to my manager Allison or she was going to make me put away my iPad, so shoutout to my favorite manager Allison of Geek Squad.