Welcome, First Years

Welcome, First Years

17
Welcome, First Years

Dear incoming freshman,

College is an exciting time, but it's also a time filled with nervousness, anxiety, and homesickness. These are all emotions that I've felt before, and still feel as a rising sophomore. It's normal. However, I had the privilege to meet amazing people that gave me great advice to combat my freshman year, and I can now attest to the fact that I love Centre.

So, I hope to be that person for you. Here are a few tips and things to know about Centre that will make your freshman year worthwhile.

1. The correct term is first-year.

"I'm a freshman."

I learned very quickly that no one actually calls themselves freshmen during the freshman year. In fact, I felt more mature when I told that senior I was a first-year instead of a freshman, and for them not to forget it.

2. Tater Tot Day in Cowan will make you unbelievably happy when you might be having a crappy day.

Although you'll question whether some of the things in Cowan are edible, the tater tots are something you just can't pass up.

3. Get to know your hallmates.

You'll be seeing these people a lot. And they will be seeing you at your worst. I'm talking right when you wake up, bed head, pajamas, worst. And they won't judge because they're in the same state.

4. Don't be afraid to talk to your professors.

Most professors may seem intimidating, but they are there to help. All it takes is one time to break the ice, then you'll feel comfortable enough to go get extra help. It pays off in the long run.

5. Find a study spot.

It's essential to have one spot away from all of your friends where you can really buckle down and get your work done. During my first year, there were plenty of times where I had to excuse myself from a group study with my friends because I was too distracted. Trust me, they will understand.

6. Get involved.

Centre is a small school with a lot to offer. Our sports teams are really good, and it's up to the students to show school spirit and make them exciting! If sports aren't your thing, there are plenty of clubs to get involved with. Our sororities and fraternities are awesome, so think about rushing in the spring!

7. You don't have to forget home.

One of my biggest fears was that everyone back home would forget me, or that I would forget some things about home. I found that this wasn't the case. You can bring as much or as little from home to school with you. I found that pictures and a banner of my hometown's skyline helped with my feelings of homesickness.

8. Snow days (if we're lucky to get any more) are sent from heaven.

Being from the north, I got snow days pretty often. But in Kentucky, I felt like I had won a million bucks when we got a few snow days. Lots of people went sledding, drank hot chocolate, and played football in the snow. It was one of the most memorable days.

9. Explore.

Kentucky has a lot to offer outside of little ol' Danville! Go to a UK game, get fancy for the Kentucky Derby, or go apple picking in Versailles. It's important to take a break from the pressures of Centre every once in a while.

10. Have fun!

Make the most of your college experience. Study hard, make friends, turn up. Laugh, be silly, dress up as TMNT for Halloween. In the words of President Roush, "Do your best, be your best, no regrets."