Welcome Back Spidey

Welcome Back Spidey

After the release of the new "Captain America: Civil War" trailer, "Spider-Man" makes a triumphant entrance into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

15
Welcome Back Spidey
Marvel Entertainment

Over the past 14 years, there have been five different "Spider-Man" movies, and after studio negotiations, the famous web-slinger is back home with Marvel Entertainment.

The origin story of the aspiring photographer who gains amazing spider senses, wall crawling and web-slinging abilities after being bitten by a radioactive spider has been played out on the big screen two different times by two different actors. He made his first appearance in the Marvel comic book world in 1962 and in 2016, the wall-crawler will swing his way into his first Marvel produced film.

Audiences got a sneak peek of the newest version of "Spider-Man" in the most recent trailer for “Captain America: Civil War,” the final installment of the “Captain America” films.

With "Spider-Man"’s movie licensing rights originally with Sony Pictures Entertainment, a deal was made between Marvel and Sony in 2015, announcing the appearance of a new "Spider-Man" in a Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) film and his own solo film in July of 2018.

After letting fans know Spider-Man’s first appearance would be in the third installment of the Captain America trilogy, the rumors of the actors to be chosen for the part started circulating around the Internet. Since the actors who had previously portrayed the role, Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield, were nearly 30 when they were cast as "Spider-Man," the studios were looking to find younger, more fresh-faced actors.

Some of the young men considered, were “Ender’s Game” star Asa Butterfield and “The Fault in Our Stars” actor Nat Wolff. After much deliberation between the studios, the role went to British-born actor Tom Holland. At 19, Holland fits the bill for a younger take on the character.

In his first appearance in the MCU, Spider-Man drops in while both sides of the civil war, Team Iron Man and Team Captain America, are getting ready to face off. As an attempt to even out the playing field, Iron Man signals the young hero and has him take Captain America’s famous shield. With a quick web-grab of Captain America’s shield and an awkward “Hey everyone,” Spider-Man has inserted himself into the MCU.

This clip not only gives everyone a new look at the character, but also a look at what is going on with is famous superhero suit. The version shown in the trailer is much more colorful and playful than the previous interpretations. The new costume also features zooming eye lenses.

Even though the first design of the costume is often attributed to Spider-Man’s alter ego, Peter Parker, the new technology in the face mask has some fans wondering if this new design had a little help from billionaire, philanthropist Tony Stark, or Iron Man. This collaboration could also explain why Spider-Man is on Iron Man’s side. Other fans have contributed the bright and colorful costume to the fact that it is homemade by a teenager, so contrast between professionally made costumes and the new Spider-Man outfit should not be surprising.

Although Spider-Man’s acceptance into the MCU is exciting for many fans of the character, the July 2018 release date of "Spider-Man"’s solo film leaves other highly anticipated heroes, like Captain Marvel and Black Panther in the dust. With this movie date for "Spider-Man," Captain Marvel’s film has been pushed back to March 2019 and Black Panther’s release date is now February 2018. Luckily for Black Panther, he will also make an appearance in “Captain America: Civil War”, as a member of Team Iron Man.

“Captain America: Civil War” will hit theaters May 6, 2016, and "Spider-Man" and Marvel fans will be waiting to see what happens next in the action packed, superhero filled world.