Why Weekend Trips Are The Best Trips

Why Weekend Trips Are The Best Trips

My latest impromptu vacation was to New York... Yes, I am crazy.

14
Why Weekend Trips Are The Best Trips
Caroline Marchand

Weekends are just long enough to give yourself a little taste of adventure. Why not make the most of it?

Everyone gets that little itch to just up and leave. Sometimes, acting on those itches is the best decision to get you out of any slump, wanderlust, or need for change. Weekend trips are the best trips. Most are usually impromptu and planned on a whim, making it spontaneous and exhilarating. The beach isn't that far away; pack your bathing suit and a picnic and find the nearest body of water! For a rush, go sky diving or to Chinatown in New York and heckle one of the locals for a Louis Vuitton bag. Steak out all the best local restaurants in your area. Every delicious, overpriced, long-awaited meal will be worth it, even if it's a slice of pizza. And so will the memories.

You may think it's pointless to travel somewhere more than a few hours away because the drive will be longer than the stay. But I promise you, you won't regret it. Traveling is half the fun! Even when the traveling doesn't go as planned.Your flight gets delayed by 9 hours and you didn't come up with a backup plan, meaning you paid for a hotel room for a night you didn't actually get to sleep in. You didn't think to check your tires, engine, transmission, or whatever else and you end up sitting at the nearest auto repair shop for hours spending all the money you had saved for the trip. As miserable as you might be in the moment, those moments might turn into some of the best memories. And the delirium you get from sitting around waiting for a miracle will make you laugh twice as hard at your friends' lame jokes. You'll practically sleep walk through the days of your trip but looking back at receipts and pictures will surely make up for it.

Next time you get a pay check, save it. Go to that one place that you've just been dying to go to. Camping, sailing, skiing, just go. Go by yourself or go with a group. Go with people who will make you laugh and will share in your interests. Go with people who won't make the bad situations worse. Go with people you particularly wouldn't and to places you might not be familiar with because it makes it more of an adventure!

Yes, last minute plans hardly ever go off without a hitch. And if you're as unlucky as I am, they never go off without a hitch. Every vacation I went on this summer was messed up somehow, and only one of them was planned on a whim. But that doesn't mean I don't cherish every other great memory I made with my family and friends. Money, work, missing a Snapchat story, or anything else should never hold you back from the spontaneous moments of life. Those are the best ones.