11 Tips For Summer Tavel

11 Tips For Summer Tavel

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." -James Michener

10
11 Tips For Summer Tavel
Thomas.org

The traveling season has finally arrived, so I thought it was only appropriate to share some of my tips for traveling this summer! I'm well seasoned when it comes to packing last minute, bringing too many unnecessary items and squeezing every enjoyable moment out of vacation. Here are some tips I've picked up along the way!

1. Give yourself time for everything!

This is so important, regardless of where you are going. Give yourself time to pack, wake up, and make your plane or train. You can do this by packing the night before, setting numerous alarms so you will wake up, and giving yourself ample time to get from point A to point B.

2. Splurge a bit.

You're on vacation, so splurge! Treat yourself to whatever you want, whether that's food, clothes, or even just souvenirs. Make sure you are giving yourself a break and just enjoy being wherever you are.

3. Take pictures of everything.

Yes, taking pictures is a given, but it's important to take pictures of more than just the tourist attractions; photograph the local markets, food, or houses. Capture the life and culture in your photos, so that when you return home you can look back at them and get the best representation of the area. Plus, your family and friends will love to experience it through your pictures!

4. Pack less.

This is something I, personally, struggle with. I tend to overpack for just about every trip I go on, but it only hurts me in the end. Learn to pack less and travel light. It makes transportation easier and leaves you room to bring home lots of remarkable souvenirs!

5. Pack a scarf.

This may sound odd, but scarves are extremely helpful for many different climates! Plus they can be worn by everyone! For the colder climate areas, pack a wool scarf to keep yourself warm and for the hotter climate areas, pack a lighter cotton scarf to protect you from the sun.

6. Live on the local side.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with spending time at a resort, but every now and then try doing things the locals' way. Try finding somewhere in the local area to stay, so that you can experience the culture even more intimately.

7. Stash extra cash.

For domestic traveling, always bring extra money because you never know what you may need it for. You can never have enough shopping money!

8. Stash extra cash ... at home.

While extra cash is perfect for domestic traveling, it's best to make use of your ATM card abroad! Exchanging money can be both costly, both time-wise and economically, and you'll get the best rates just directly using the ATM machines! Make sure your cards have an international chip, and you're good to go!

9. Eat local food.

Be adventurous with your trip! Being that I personally love food, trying all the local dishes sounds fun and exciting. Skip the McDonald's and give it a try.

10. Listen to your body.

Traveling can be stressful and can really take a toll on your body so it's important to rest when you're tired or sore. Doing so will allow you to get the most out of your trip later and keep you from slugging along the whole way, wishing you were in bed.

11. Keep an open mind.

Wherever you plan on traveling soon, keep an open mind! Different cultures can be intimidating, but try and experience them to the best of your ability. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone; try everything, and happy traveling!