Weekend Survival Trip: My 7 Items

Weekend Survival Trip: My 7 Items

I write this, if only to reassure myself that this trip will be fun.

208
Weekend Survival Trip: My 7 Items
Lilly Pittman

This week I am going on a trip. I'm not entirely sure where, but somewhere nearby. I am going with my Survival Techniques Class. This class is a one credit health and human performance elective at George Fox University. It's a two-night trip, which (at this moment) sounds luxurious.

However, there's a catch: as it is a survival trip, I can only bring 7 items. Now, these items do not include clothing; I can wear as many layers as I want to. However, I cannot bring any food or homework.

Here's what I'm taking:

1. A pocket knife.

I'm going to use this to make tinder. I doubt I'll actually start a fire though.

2. An 8x10 tarp and twenty-five feet of rope.

This is my best hope for waterproofing. Maybe Oregon will decide to hold off the rain. Probably not.

3. A 1-quart water bottle — full of water.

I've been told there will be a nearby water source, but I don't know if the water will be drinkable or not. Hopefully I return without getting too dehydrated.

4. A lighter.

Fire-making will give me something to do with my time at the very least. An added bonus if I succeed.

5. A sleeping bag.

I hope to sleep a lot this weekend. Hopefully this keeps me warm through the long night.

6. Homemade deodorant.

I've been making my own deodorant for some time now. As it is oil based, it will catch fire easily. It will also keep me from smelling, keep my skin moisturized and repel bugs.

7. Haven't decided.

There are many things I could choose. A flashlight could be helpful. So could a book. My phone would be nice, if only to take pictures. I'm not sure yet.

I have a feeling this weekend is going to be both fun and miserable. I'll probably get lonely, cold, hungry and sleep-deprived. However, I am interested to experience these things, for I wonder what they'll teach me.