Weddings: As Told By 'The Office'

Weddings: As Told By 'The Office'

"Amid all the stress and wedding talk, I have found myself finding an oasis in 'The Office.'"

28
Weddings: As Told By 'The Office'
the office

As my brother, Owen, and his wife Lara prepare for their wedding on July 9, I can’t help but feel second-hand stress trickling down to me.

From choosing the right tablecloths to picking where to put that one vase of flowers, this wedding, in its last few days, is getting down to the most intricate details. Preparing for a wedding is all about making one day that is completely perfect and unforgettable, and it's really freaking hard.

Amid all the stress and wedding talk, I have found an oasis in the US television sitcom "The Office." Weddings and Michael Scott are an interesting combination, as Michael is constantly searching for companionship of his own. And he's not the only one. From Michael to Dwight, from Pam to Jim, from Kevin to Jan, I feel that the characters of "The Office" can completely describe the chaos, joy, and love that combine to create an idealistic wedding day. "The Office" ultimately helped me realize that all this hard work will pay off very, very soon.

It all starts with this. The proposal that will turn into a lifelong commitment of love and a short-term commitment to some heavy duty wedding planning.

And then all the craziness follows suit. Which, I promise, will pay off. This after engagement excitement mixed with the few following months of chaos is easily blurred together...it's wonderful.

As they say, time flies when you're planing a wedding. Let's get this straight: I'm not planning the wedding, but I definitely do see the effects. For me, time is actually going pretty slowly coming up to the big day, but for others, not so much. It seems as though there just isn't enough time in a day to finish everything.

And of course, there are always small victories to be celebrated with every decision. The date, the venue, the food, the colors, the guest, the decorations, the cake, the DJ, the tablecloths...you get the point. Every decision is a step closer to the big day.

But anything can happen and everything can change on a dime. I'd present hypothetical situations to you about this one, but I'm too scared to jinx the wedding, so, I'll describe it with a gif.

Then there are always the last-minute adjustments. Making sure you've packed all the right things in the car, making sure the dress looks just right, making sure the weather will hold up. All the last-minute nerves probably feel a little bit like this.

In the end though, as long as there is love, there is success. Sure, all the details matter, but the most important thing is the "I Do's." There is absolutely nothing more satisfying and beautiful than seeing all your hard work turn out into a beautiful joining of two wonderful people.

So no matter what happens on July 9, I know it will be a wonderful accomplishment. Though I hope there's no flash mob down the aisle...and, if there is, I'd better be in it.

This is all that matters. Through all the stress and the meticulous planning, amidst all the tulle and the chaos, this is all that matters.

Congratulations Owen and Lara. The big day is almost here. I wish you a love as wonderful and steadfast as Jim and Pam's.