The Reality Of Not Wearing Makeup

I Stopped Wearing So Much Makeup And Realized That I Could Be Pretty Without It

What is uncharted territory for many girls these days has become the new me.

51
Original Photo Courtesy of Courtenay Parker

Oh no, the dreaded reveal of my face without foundation. Oh wait...surprise, surprise: it just looks like my face. I know many of you girls and some of you guys out there won't believe me when I tell you, but you look very nearly the same when you don't have makeup on compared to when you do. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this, but you've been wasting an exponential amount of money on the beauty industry.

Don't get me wrong, I 100% agree with spending money on whatever products you please, especially when it comes to makeup. Whether you just like the packaging, heard great things about it or maybe just want to try something new, I totally support you! However, there is always the fear in a makeup lovers eyes when they realize they are going to have to go without it. Although, if you are a makeup FREAK, you somehow manage to avoid these situations.

One of these situations arose for me recently and that situation was a single word: Florida. Growing up in Wisconsin and going to college in Minnesota didn't expose me to many days above 100 degrees with 90% humidity, if ever. Fun fact: for those of you who don't know, wearing makeup in Florida that lasts a long time is a near impossible feat. You will not succeed, because, the second you step outside, you will be sweating. Foundation can last through a lot, but 10 hours of non-stop sweating in a day? I don't think so. This is something that I did not like very much when I moved down there for an internship; however, it was something I managed to get used to and even became slightly grateful for.

For about a month, I fought the good fight and tried to manage my face as best I could, making sure there was even so much as a thin layer of foundation on my face at all times. Slowly, I decreased the amount of makeup I began wearing, and, surprisingly, I didn't absolutely hate it. One day, I woke up and thought, "Did I fall asleep with makeup on my face last night?" The answer: no. Folks, let me tell you, this is probably the best feeling in the world.

I know there are a lot of skin conditions out there, and a lot of the time we just want to cover them up. I use to have redness all over my face with various skin problems, and what I realized while I was down in Florida was that not wearing any makeup will eventually allow those conditions to heal.

My new beauty regimen? Rose petal-scented witch hazel cleanser/toner and mascara. No foundation, no highlighter or bronzer or blush. My God, does it feel good to take only five minutes in the morning to get ready.

I understand if you read this and are thinking to yourself, "I love makeup, shut up." Well, in that case, you do you, honey. Remember, I support an insane love for makeup, but the idea that you can't be pretty without it is a ridiculous one. So, just remember the next time you find yourself without your three-pound bag of beauty products, you don't need them.