wearing sweats to class

You Shouldn’t Care About What I Wear To Class, Even If It's Sweatshirts And Leggings

I don't go to class to impress you, I go to learn.

94

College is not an accurate portrayal of the "real world" or being an adult. College is a time of intensive learning and growing that is extremely difficult to handle, let alone control. Sure, we are given the financial burden and responsibilities of adults, but we still go to classes with mandatory attendance. College is an amazing example of a contradiction, and to be honest, we should stop trying to make it something it isn't.

College isn't about impressing people. Let's make that perfectly clear. And I'm not talking about professional or business networking, cause that's a whole other thing.

When I say people, I am specifically talking about my peers and classmates. And since it seems like such a hot topic for some students, let's talk about this in the context of wardrobe.

I think of my style and wardrobe as comfortable and functional. Because, if I have to leave my apartment to go sit and listen to a professor for hours, I am planning my outfit accordingly. As in, comfortably.

On a personal level, I usually can't bring myself to justify a full face of makeup and/or my best and nice clothes just to go to a class that I already have to pay for, while I'm very sleep-deprived.

I think the best-dressed person in the classroom should be the professor, for a couple reasons. 1) They actually have a professional dress code and must dress according to their authority and academic level and 2) they are paid to be there and dress like that.

Yeah, if you're paying me to be somewhere, I'll dress as nice as you want me to, but until then, I'm going to dress for me.

I didn't come to college, finally escaping a required dress code, just to be shamed or guilted into another student's version of one.

That being said, if you want to "put your best foot forward" and dress really nice and/or "professional" for class, do it. Dress the way you want to, the way that you're comfortable in. But just remember that college isn't this glamorous thing or event. It's a time to figure out who you are and what you want to be, but it's still a struggle. And it's designed to be a struggle.

So, while you have the right to dress to your comfort, keep in mind that this also applies to your fellow classmates.

The fact is, you're all paying to be there and to learn. Emphasis on learning as the primary focus and motivation. So, you do you when it comes to how you dress, but please, keep your preferences to yourself and your learning. Not on what your classmates are wearing.

It shouldn't matter to you if I'm exclusively wearing sweats and/or leggings to class, or that I walk around campus make-up free.

To put it plainly, stop caring and commenting on my appearance. I am here studying and working hard in college to be rated or commented on by anyone, fellow student or not.

And I shouldn't have had to say this in the first place, but please stop trying to force your outfit and wardrobe preferences down my throat.

In today's society, I'm honestly surprised and shocked that I could even need to write this. Whether you're a man or woman, why do you want to tear down people's self-esteem and confidence just for the chance of seeing less comfy clothes in a college classroom?

And by the way, this applies to much more than college settings.

We need to change how and why we comment on and drag down people based on appearances. In the college context, yes, but also as a society in general.

I'm so tired of feeling the necessity to address subjects like these, that could be solved easily through a little common sense, some introspective thoughts, and general empathy.

So, wear whatever you want to wear, dress up or down to your comfort level, and just get to class. And for now on, can we just pay attention to the professor's teaching instead of what the girl next to you is wearing?