We Must Be Environmentally Vigilant Upon Our Return To Campus

Things are going to look much different in the fall, but that also means we will need to work even harder to make sure our environmental is still actively cared for.

40
Eleanor Dalsass

Along with the exciting news of returning to campus, a series of extensive health and safety plans were also issued. In essence, the detailed overview of the University's intentions describes a disposable culture, where environmental consciousness is to be put to the wayside in order to promote a more sterile, preemptive setting.

This is a difficult predicament, for as much as I care about the environment, I also have great respect for all the necessary precautions that must be taken in order to ensure the safety of all the students, faculty, and staff on campus. COVID-19 is not something to be taken lightly, and I am in full support of enforcing preventative measures that will reduce the risk of exposure and vulnerability.

That being said, there are ways that we can still embrace these sanitary regulations while still demonstrating our dedication to the environmental cause. For instance, although dining halls are now imposing strict mandates that all food is to be served and eaten with single-use, disposable cutlery and containers, we can still take an environmental stance by using our reusable products. While the use of personal storage containers may not be permitted for sanitary reasons, bringing your own set of utensils is an excellent way to reduce the excessive need for single-use plastic. Also, in this day and age, hundreds of companies now sell functioning cutlery sets that is also visually appealing, so I encourage you to invest in one if you haven't already.

Another major issue concerns the prominent need for the use of masks. While most people have probably purchased or made a fabric, washable mask by now, there are many who still use disposable surgical masks. The frequent use and discarding of these masks (and the paper bags that they come in) will add up and contribute greatly to the disposable culture that is so bad for our environment. In order to remain vigilant, the use of cloth masks is the most environmentally-friendly way to abide by face-covering guidelines.

Finally, as caffeinated beverages are a necessity on many campuses, the amount of paper cups and plastic straws that I anticipate to fill our landfills by the end of the month will be staggering. I imagine that any requests to use reusable cups will be rejected, for obvious reasons, however we will still have the opportunity to bring our own metal straw, and I encourage everyone to use them. They can be easily compacted, stowed, and washed, and cost very little in comparison to their value.

With so many things changing, many of which will have a negative effect on the environment, it is our duty to do our part and promote environmental awareness. Although these strategies may seem insignificant, every small step taken is a step closer to helping our planet. We cannot let all the detriments on our environment, caused by the inadvertent effects of the virus, overshadow its importance; now is more of an important time than ever to take strides and care for our earth.