We Like To Move It Move It: Great Brain Breaks For the Classroom!

Our most favorite brain breaks!

39
Amy Clink

I don't know about you, but I think sitting still all day is no fun! After awhile you get bored, and you just can't focus!! With that in mind, we do brain breaks all year long throughout the day. These are some of our favorites. We also dance a lot for brain breaks so keep watching for another article on those!

Gotcha

This game gives their brain a real workout, but they'ill never know. It's best played with a little music, but it can be played without if nothing is available. For this game, everyone stands around the circle. Have everyone put their left hand out to their side with the palm up and flat. They then rest the tip of their right pointer finger in their neighbor’s palm. When every gets set up (this takes a while the first several times you play it with a new group of kids). The music starts to play. When the music stops (if there is no music just yell gotcha) each player tries to pull their finger up before their neighbor grabs it, and at the same time tries to grab their neighbor’s finger. If you get caught you're out! We start with one circle, but as people get out they move to a second circle and play there! For a really large group, you can start with several circles and those who get out can join other circles.

Wonder ball

I love games that can be played everywhere and anywhere. All you need for this game is a small ball or stuffed toy (like a beanie baby). I even played with a water bottle one time when the camp bus broke down and we had to wait a looooooong time for a new bus! The item is passed around the circle as everyone sings this song:

The wonder ball goes round and round

To touch it you are surely bound

So hold it not

If you’re the one to touch it last

The game for you has surely passed

And you are out

Whoever is left holding the ball is out and they must sit and watch. Like Gotcha, you can get two (or more) circles going and students can switch circles when they get out.

Silent Ball

The rules of this game are simple, and it can be played anywhere. All you need is something small and soft to toss. I normally use a small Koosh ball, but if one is not available any small soft ball or beanie baby style stuffed animal will work. To remain “in” this game you must be silent. If you talk you are out, and you sit down! You can also get out by throwing the ball to far/hard, and failing to make eye contact with the receiver (depending on the group you can also have those who drop the ball be out). The teacher starts out with the ball and makes eye contact with one student who is close by before softly tossing the ball to them. The student does the same, and the game continues on until the teacher says “mine” then the ball is thrown back to them and the game ends.

Sunshine Breaths

I use this one when we need a little calming down. It's also great for kiddos with sensory issues!

Savasana

Here is another one I use when we are on sensory overload and need to chill a bit! I play very chill yoga music from iTunes, and it really helps us reset! To learn more about Savasana click here.

Sleeping Lions

This one is the kids favorite! In this game, one person (usually me) is the zoo keeper and our big carpet is the "lion's cage" I release the lions (the kiddos) to lay down and sleep outside their cage, but the deal is that they cannot move. If I see them move they're out and have to go back in their cage. If they are silent and still in the cage, I sometimes let them back out to sleep again. This can go on for a very long time which I love!

Self Control

This one is quick and easy! All you need is bubbles. For this game, the kids sit criss-cross on the carpet with one finger pointed and ready to pop bubbles with. Here is where the self control piece comes in!

1. You can only pop bubbles with that one finger! Nothing else!

2. Your booty is glued to the floor!

3. No talking or noises!

If you break those rules you're out and you're not allowed to pop any more bubbles.

As we play I remind them to let their mind control their body, focus and rules!

I hope you enjoy our favorite brain breaks!