WHY WE DON'T DESERVE DOGS

WHY WE DON'T DESERVE DOGS

Just a few reasons why we do not deserve our lovable goofballs.

39
WHY WE DON'T DESERVE DOGS
Jenna Roberts

Let's talk about dogs for a second. I am sure most of you who are reading this either have a dog or have had one in your life. Dogs are loveable goofs that brighten our days when we get home. Every dog out there deserves a loving home and a family that will take care of him or her. However, we do not deserve dogs.

We, as humans, are full of hate and malicious tendencies. Now, I realize not everyone constantly acts on these tendencies, however, have you ever had a bad day and your dog is getting on your last nerve so you lash your anger out on him/her? I reiterate we do not deserve dogs. All dogs ever do is show us an unconditional love that we do no even come close to returning the favor.

I have a mutt named Draco. He is six different dogs in one and he is the sweetest dog I have ever met. Every time I come home after being away for any amount of time he is always excited to see me. If my parents are home and I come home after work he always goes to the window to watch me get out of my car and brings me a present (his toy) and gives it to me. He always gives me kisses and tries to crawl into my lap even though he weighs fifty pounds. All he ever does is show me unconditional love and if I leave him he cries and fusses. There is nothing I would not do for my dog.

Even though I do a lot for Draco, I have popped him or shoved him out the way when he would either be particularly annoying or he would just get in the way. A lot of dog owners are like this. Especially if their dogs are as clingy as Draco can be. Unfortunately, many dogs do not live in good homes and live with aggressive and abusive humans. These dogs either become very aggressive towards people and dogs or they become very skittish and afraid of everything. If a dog is very aggressive then he or she may be put down because they are deemed unfit for home life. I see this as unfair to the dog because they are only a product of the people whom they have been with. I believe that any dog can be trained to be less aggressive if a person is willing to work with them diligently.

Any every dog is fit to be a pet but not every person is fit to be an owner. Dogs deserve to be loved and cherished. They need to be looked after and taken care of when they are ill or need preventive medications so they do not become ill. One thing that all dogs have is loyalty. It can be very hard to earn a dog’s trust but when you do you will see the results of that bond at some point in time. Many dogs have saved people from house fires, being attacked, or even helping their owner find some sweets because their blood sugar dropped too low. Dogs give a companionship that we cannot get from other humans and I think that is truly special. Even though we do not deserve dogs, they are the best animals to have around. Have you kissed your dog today?