We Are Marquette, But We Are Also Milwaukee

A message to all students and faculty regarding recent events in MKE.

135
elfners.com

Past weeks have been an extremely sad time in the history of our beloved city. Riots, fires, and shootings are all symptoms of this breaking city, but it is our time to stand up and do whatever we can to make change.

As a student, I have fallen in love with the city of Milwaukee. The excitement I feel when I return to campus is unmatched, and the city itself just breeds a sense of pure possibility. I, like many others, have come to Milwaukee to follow my dreams. This city is one of dreamers and doers, those are the things that define us, not the events of recent weeks.

The things that are happening now in our city are things that will stay etched in history. Future generations will ask us what happened, how the turmoil ended. What do we want to be able to tell them? That the heartache of this city resulted in the decline of Milwaukee? Or that we all came together, fought our battles differently and responsibly, and that the city has grown to be as prosperous as ever?

We are Marquette, but Milwaukee is our home. While our city is hurting, we are hurting with it. Mahatma Gandhi said that we must be the change we wish to see in the world. So let's be that change.

This is not a time for us to be fearful to return to campus, but a time to embrace the possibility of change. We can make that change. Our university is standing by its Jesuit traditions and many will follow suit. This is a time for us to help those in need, to spread our university message, and to live up to our mantra. So make the change, be the difference.