We All Have Something To Say

We All Have Something To Say

Don't be silenced by the world around you. Speak up.

54
We All Have Something To Say

Words were always something that came naturally to me. I had a comeback for everything, an idea to share, or a bit of information on my mind at any given time. For me, talking was as easy as breathing and writing was just as simple. I had something to say, and I was going to say it whether people liked it or not.

When I started putting my thoughts on the Internet, I eased myself into the idea of sharing my mind with strangers online. I began with a blog that somehow turned into a collection of poetry, which came as a surprise to me because I had never had the desire to read poetry let alone write it. Then came the book reviews, the short stories, and eventually the opportunity to write for The Odyssey. I wrote about what I knew, what I wanted to know, and what I felt I couldn’t say out loud. It was that simple and that hard.

But lately it really has been that hard. Multiple times a day I sit down in front of my computer with a blank word document staring me in the face with no idea what to do with it. I hated being hit with the terrible realization that I no longer know what I think. Where were the words that used to spill out the second a picked up a pen or opened my laptop? Where was my head?

I previously wrote an article on writer’s block (which you can find by clicking here), and anyone who has ever attempted to write just for the thrill of it knows all too well that sometimes the words just do not come. But this was different. This time, I feared that I just didn’t have anything left to say. I mean after all, the media says it all for us these days, right? We read what we’re supposed to know. Our friends tell us what to think. Our parents engrain us with their own values and ideals.

In today’s society, what can we really think? What can we actually write that is going to please the masses without offending someone along the way?

2016 left us with a myriad of issues that need to be resolved. Politically, emotionally, and physically, our world is changing due to neglect on our own parts. We’ve been stuck in our own heads. We’ve been writing about the best shows on Netflix or the easiest ways to grab a man’s attention instead of speaking out about the problems around us, the people in our lives, and the ways that we can help.

Our generation is important. They tell us that we have power and I want to believe that. But all of that power means nothing if we do not do anything with it. We have been blessed with outlets for expression that generations before us never dreamed to be possible. We can publish our thoughts with the click of a button and have 24/7 access to the world around us. We have been given the tools that we need. We must learn to use them and I want to emphasize that we must learn to use them well.

We have been given opportunity time and time again to use our words in positive ways. You can speak your mind. You can send a message. You can help others. We all can and if we all would the world could potentially be a much better place.

Don’t just surf for memes. Don’t just retweet. Think about what really matters to you next time you get the urge to post something on the web. Can you make a difference with your words? Do you want to?

Words do not always come easily, but neither does change. Both are things that require work & dedication. Don’t wait for someone else to say what you’ve been thinking.

Take charge. Make them listen. Become a part of the world around you.