We All Get A Little Lost Sometimes

We All Get A Little Lost Sometimes

Disclaimer: This self-silhouette picture is totally not from like, 2013, and I totally didn't take it while blasting Twenty One Pilots outside of my garage.

67

Who's ready to get a little emotionally detached for a second? I feel like it's that time of year where we're are in a bit of a mental funk. Actually, maybe you're like me and you've been in this weird bit of time where it seems like nothing is happening.

As a freshman in college, there's bound to be some identity crisis with time flying by seemingly fast. For me, I started the summer not really worrying about the upcoming transition to college. I was really enjoying my time off and didn't really go full out with the whole "let me plan the whole year out immediately, like right now, no sleep until I have the next four years planned out." Then I got hit by the whole panic of actually going to college and spent all of August panicking and drowning; August was rough, no lie.

But after I completed the transition from just getting off the adrenaline overdose from the rollercoaster that is high school, I settled into this middle road of not knowing what I was doing but knowing I needed to keep working. In other words, I know there's a life goal that I am actively working towards, but time doesn't feel right now. It's November? Huh? Even now, I feel like I'm just stuck in this weird moment of "in between."

I think part of that is being in college; it doesn't feel real. And part of THAT part is living in the same town as my college and not having left this town for about 16 years. I went to pre-K ten minutes from campus and spent my childhood running around the Chemistry Department at UGA as my parents both worked on their post-doctorate and masters. I've been here for so long, nothing seems new anymore. It just seems like a continuous cycle with not much changing. But hey, this seems to be the path that life has set out for me, so I don't really have any choice but to follow it. It's the only sense of direction that I feel I have.

This isn't a full-out complaint though. There is some convenience and advantage that comes with being so at home and familiar with my environment. For one, I was lucky to not be thrown into an ocean of "new" when starting college. Just a lake.

Needless to reiterate, I'm feeling lost, like my head is up in the clouds. I'm figuring out what I have the freedom to feel and invest in, but I know I can't sacrifice too much mind power to that balance of work and play. And just so I can work in that weekly reference to Ariana Grande, I just gotta keep breathin.

So to anyone else feeling that winter weather slowing your soul, keep your head up and carry on. We've all been there. Don't let it drag you down too far, but let it be a lesson to keep working up to the top of the mountain. You'll know you've reached the summit where you reach happiness and satisfaction in what you've accomplished and worked towards. It doesn't have to a huge life milestone. Maybe it's a small internal goal, but it's still monumental.

If you can picture your self, zoom out on you, on your home, on your city, on your country, and on Earth. Take a second and look around the galaxy. Look how much there is. Now zoom back in. Look how small we are. We are all inconsequential, theoretically. But it's the happiness and meaning we achieve in our non-lost moments that make us the most important beings to exist. Grab on to those things that keep you grounded and come back down to earth. They'll keep your gravity intact, as long as you remember to hold on.

Okay, I think I've made it very obvious that I wrote this article at 2:17 am on a Friday night.