10 Ways To Become More Productive And Organized

10 Ways To Become More Organized And Productive

Struggling to stay organized is a common issue for people, but there are many ways to make a change in your life and get better at it. Here are some daily habits that have helped me - hopefully they can help you as well!

138
Lilly Angle

Something that I've struggled with in my life since I can remember is organization - in school and just in life. Over the years I've learned some skills and habits that have helped me become (and stay) organized. I still have some work to do, but I'm getting better at it every day! Here are some suggestions I have if you're looking to make a change in your organization and productivity:

1. Use a planner

Planners are a fun and easy way to get a schedule in place that can help you visualize what you need to do and when it needs to be done. Picking a planner can be exciting, and even using stickers and colored pens is good way to get yourself to actually use it. Not going to lie, when I first got a planner, that's what it took for me to get in the habit of using it.

2. Write down your goals

Writing down goals reminds you why you are working hard and why you need to get things done. Everyone has rough days, and sometimes you need to look at your goals to motivate you to keep moving forward. These goals can even be small tasks or things you want to conquer like learning something new or scoring a certain grade on an exam - or they can be bigger goals such as graduating and starting your career.

3. Come up with a routine

Routines get us into the habit of being productive and remembering to do so. Morning, night time, and after school routines can make a huge difference in your everyday life. It's interesting to watch other's routines on Youtube and understand what they do to keep themselves in check - so if you need some ideas that is something to look into.

4. Make lists and check them off

Making lists have been a huge part of my productivity. This is one of the most helpful techniques I've used to encourage myself to get things done. Completing tasks and checking them off a list is a great way to see progress and visualize your accomplishments which is very satisfying and rewarding!

5. Make your bed when you wake up

This sounds like a silly and simple task that doesn't make much of a difference in your day-to-day life, but you would be surprised. Recently I have gotten in the habit of making my bed EVERY morning. For some reason it makes my head feel more clear, and it's a refreshing thing to come home to after a long day.

​6. Create a clean work space

It is usually difficult to be productive when things are a mess. Trust me, I would know. I have found that when I clean up my room and make myself an area to get work done, I accomplish way more. It helps me feel more clear headed and less overwhelmed.

​7. Don't let your laundry build up

This goes along with keeping a clean work space - we are all guilty of being lazy now and then when it comes to doing laundry. Although, the more it builds up, the more difficult it becomes to deal with. Often times even when I do my laundry, it will still take me awhile to get myself to sit down and fold the clothes. I have found though that the more often I do it, the less overwhelming it becomes.

​8. Review notes after class and keep supplies organized

Reviewing your notes everyday is a great way to reflect on what you learned earlier. Doing this before bed is especially beneficial because that is the last thing you think about before you fall asleep. This results in much better retention of the material you've gone over which is a reason it is such a helpful thing to do.

9. Use your phone to help you

Everyday we walk around with our phones with us and we use it all the time. Although phone use can be unhealthy and these days it consumes too much of our time, it's a great resource to get organized and stay productive. Using the Reminder App that comes with a lot of phones is a great tool to use, so is the calendar and timer. If you're as forgetful as I am this is definitely something you should use to your advantage!

​10. Hold yourself accountable

These tips and habits may seem like a lot to keep up with but once you get used to them they will become second nature. Try not to push these things aside and go about your day - remember what you've forgotten to do or reflect on what you need to get better at. Keep track of how often you are doing these things, maybe even write down when you forgot something so you can do it differently next time.

Your organization and productivity is all in your own control! The only thing getting in the way of making a change is yourself, remember that.