11 Ways To Stay Informed And Stay Sane

11 Ways To Stay Informed And Stay Sane

Let's put things in perspective.

34
11 Ways To Stay Informed And Stay Sane
Us Weekly

Being aware about what is going on in the world is important. It's crucial in making educated decisions regarding voting and elections. It's great to be aware about current issues and events, however, with the internet, the seemingly unending wave of news stories can be overwhelming.

News sources tend to rely more on getting views rather than informing and often resort to clickbait titles, fearmongering, and sensationalism. It's important to evaluate news stories for their credibility and there are many ways to do this, but here are a few of the most helpful.

1. Consider the source.

When reading a news article or watching a video, keep in mind whether or not its source tends to be biased towards a specific ideology. Many news sources, both conservative and liberal, often try to persuade more than inform. Learn how to know the difference between what is fact and what is opinion.

2. Consult news sources from both sides of the political spectrum.

Using a variety of different news sources can help form a more accurate portrayal of current events. There is often more than one side to a story, and the truth is often more complicated than what is depicted by both sides.

3. Fact check.

When you read or watch a news story, do a quick Google search to see if you can find other sources that have reported on the same story. Verify the sources that these reports used as well. Look out for circular reasoning; if the articles' only sources are each other, take the information with a grain of salt.

4. Be wary of misleading statistics.

Even when the statistics are accurate, the implications that people sometimes draw from statistics are not. Try to find information regarding any samples used to collect the data. Were the individuals in the sample randomly chosen? If so, how random was the sample? Is the sample an accurate representation of the population? How might other variables not mentioned in the study influence the results? It is also important to remember that correlation does not equal causation. Ice cream sales do not, in fact, contribute to homicide rates.

5. Avoid fake news sources.

The term "fake news" has gotten thrown around a lot lately, and no, fake news does mean "opinions one disagrees with". There are many news sites that present themselves as being real, non-satirical, news sources but are full of false and misleading information. Fake News Checker is a useful site I have found to help evaluate the reliability and possible biases of various news sources.

6. Look for evidence and evaluate it.

Does the event reported by the article have any video footage or photographs? If so, what might the video or photo be leaving out? Has it been edited? What is the context behind the video or photo? Try to look for the surrounding context when reading direct quotes as well. News reports sometimes edit video footage in order to try to support a certain narrative, and quotes are sometimes taken out of context.

7. Avoid spreading misinformation.

Try not to jump to conclusions. Try to have the whole story as much of the story that is available before sharing a news report on social media.

8. Be open to new ideas.

We all make mistakes. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. Sometimes after gathering enough information on an issue, one's opinion changes. That is OK. It is good to challenge one's opinions and evaluate them, adjusting them as more information becomes available.

9. Say no to clickbait.

"You'll never believe what happened next!"

"The answer might surprise you!"

If the title of an article sounds similar to the one's above, it probably is not very reliable. These articles often rely more on the number of page-views than quality of content or accuracy of information.

10. Take a break every once in a while.

It is important to stay informed; however, the constant stream of information made possible by social media can sometimes be overwhelming. Don't be afraid to shut off social media every once in a while. Don't be afraid to turn off the TV. Meet a friend for coffee. Go to the movies. Pet your dog or cat. Watch that series on Netflix you have been wanting to start. Read a book. If you play an instrument, play a song or even write a song. The news will still be there when you get back to it.

11. Stay in involved in your local community.

Don't get so caught up in what is going on in the news that you forget to invest in your local community. Stay connected with friends and family. Find out how you can give back to your local community. Consider doing volunteer work such as at an animal shelter or soup kitchen. Use your talents to help make your community a better place.