How To Have A Strong Long Distance Friendship

The 10 Best Ways To Stay Connected With Your Best Friend Who Is, Like, 10 Hours Away

Here are 10 ways to stay close with your long-distance friend.

199

My best friend and I have been friends since fifth grade. We've gone through a lot together and had wild plans for the years ahead. These ideas, of course, changed once we graduated high school. I went to college and she chose to move to another state to join the ROTC. With this rapid change of location, we no longer were able to walk to one another's houses or spend time with each other nearly every day.

Many people will face situations similar to the one my friend and I are involved with. Long-distance friendships can be difficult to maintain, but with the right steps and proper communication, you too can keep up a wonderful friendship. Here are ten ways that my best friend and I stay close.

1. Talking Every Day

Whether it be texting or talking on the phone, communication is very important. It could even be a simple conversation, talking about how your day has been or what your week ahead is going to be like. You can also use facetime through Skype or through other apps to create that personal connection. Verbal communication is going to be incredibly important for structuring a strong friendship.

2. Plan Visits

This could be for holidays or even a random vacation. My friend came down for a visit back in May and we had been able to spend nearly a week together. We had planned ahead, deciding that she would stay with me and we both saved up some money for any places we wanted to visit.

3. Figure Out Ways To Keep The Relationship Flowing

pngimg.com

It can be taking past difficulties in your friendship and making them into advantages or planning ahead when both of you are free to talk. Like I said, communication is important! Being able to discuss about your day or something that both you and your friend find interesting is only one element to an amazing friendship.

4. Go Shopping Online Together

upload.wikimedia.org

If you are in different states like my friend and I are, online shopping is still a fun thing to do. You can facetime with one another and discuss the clothes and items that you may be viewing at the same time. Even though it's not the same as visiting a physical store, there is that connection that you and your friend may miss!

5. Understand That It May Be Difficult

When my friend moved to another state, it was a huge shift for my friend and me. This dramatic shift was difficult, but we have managed to overcome those difficulties. If this is the case for you as well, understand it will take time and more effort to stay attached.

6. Play Online Games Together

We all are familiar with online games such as Word with Friends or multiplayer card games and with a long-distance friendship, this may just be one of the best activities to stay connected and have fun at the same time.

7. Watch A Television Show Or Read A Book Together

Netflix is a very common and useful program for watching movies and television shows. There is an app called Rabbit that allows you and other users to watch the same show or movie at the same time. There is also a chat box where my friend and I would be able to talk while watching whatever is being streamed. So when you are your friend find some time to sit back and relax, sign up for Rabbit and choose some movie or TV series and talk about it after!

8. Learn Something New

It's always fun to learn new things whether it be academic or extracurricular. My friend and I are planning on learning a language, for example, so that we can have something that is original to our friendship. Finding and learning something that is unique to you and your long-distance friend will strengthen the relationship and create memories that will last a longtime.

9. Keep Up To Date With Each Other's Lives

c1.staticflickr.com

Stay connected every day and discuss what your plans are for the weeks ahead. If there is a time zone difference, don't worry! Figure out when a time is great for both of you so there are no distractions. New and exciting news? Call your friend and let them know. If you want to switch some things up, you can always write a letter or send a package to them. It may be an old style but don't be afraid to switch things up.

10. Discuss The Future

This can include future goals or vacations. It may seem a little weird, but it allows a connection between you and your friend that can be reflected on in the future. Creating bucket lists and helping one another complete them can really motivate you to stay close together. If you want to plan a little earlier in the future, see if your schedules can allow a shared vacation or random visit.