7 Unconventional Tips For Being The Best Intern You Can Be

Because showing up on time with a smile isn't cutting it.

40
Her Campus

Internships can be an amazing way to meet people, learn new things, and gain practical work experience. In the last year, I have completed two internships that have taught me so much more than any class could. While internships are often seen as being at the bottom of the food chain while working for free, the truth is almost everyone has to have one. Internships are the basis on which college students begin their professional careers, and gain references for a future job. No matter the condition of the internship itself, each student should strive to be the best intern they can be. The cliché tips such as be on time, dress for success, and always have a smile aren’t enough to leave a lasting impression. Here are 7 unconventional tips to help ensure that you will be the best intern your company has ever seen:

1. Socialize With Everyone

Odds are, there are several other people you will be working with than just your main supervisor. Don’t stick to just interacting with your boss and the other interns. Interact with everybody! Getting to know as many people as possible during your internship can have several positive effects. People will learn to see you as more than just an intern, but also as a colleague and a person. Also, the more people you meet, the more people you know. This could come in handy for making connections in case you ever need something down the road. Interning isn’t just a time to make a good impression through tangible work. Use it as a time to make a good impression through a great personality as well. Learn to network now, it will benefit you in the future!

2. Make A Daily To-Do List

Interns are usually thought to be the ones who help lighten the load when necessary. This means that you will probably be thrown several projects at one time in order to help out anyone who needs it. While it can sometimes be understood that you can’t do everything at once, learning to balance multiple projects is something you must start getting used to. An easy way to help is to make a daily to-do list. Everyday before you leave, make a to-do list of everything you need to get done the next day. That way you can arrive at work each morning already having a set list of your duties for the day. After each project is done, cross it off and end your day by making a new list for the next day. This will maximize organization and production to ensure each day is a success.

3. Maximize Your Downtime

It's no secret that some days will be slower than others. There may be a day when you have crossed off everything on your to-do list, and you truly have nothing else to do. While it can be tempting to scroll through your Facebook feed, online shop on Amazon, or send cute snaps to your friends, you will maximize your time as an intern if you choose to use your time wisely. Instead, spend your downtime doing something productive like researching the company you are working for, connecting with your new co-workers on LinkedIn, or making a lap around the office to see if anyone needs anything. Don’t use your time as an intern doing things you could be doing at home. Maximize every piece of time you have in order to stay on top of your game as a well rounded intern and young professional.

4. Don't Sweat The Little Things

As an intern, you will constantly be learning new things. This can be fun and exciting, but will inevitably result in a mistake or two. Don’t freak out, it happens. So you messed up on a project or didn’t see an important email. Guess what? You’re an intern. People understand that you don’t know how to do everything perfectly, and no one is expecting you to. Your supervisor might seem upset for a moment, but it won’t last forever. Remember, no one has great day at work everyday. If someone seems upset towards you or a mistake you made, most of the time it isn’t personal. As long as the mistakes are sincere and you’ve said your apology, there is nothing else to worry about.

5. Be Eager To Learn

While working on projects throughout your internship, you will constantly be learning new things. Use this to your advantage, and learn as much as you can. While it can be scary at first, sometimes the best thing you can do is ask a question. Questions open the door for answers, which leaves you with an abundance of knowledge about the work you are doing. Don’t overload your co-workers with simple questions you could’ve found the answer to with a quick Google search. And don’t ask questions when everyone is busy and stressed. But when the time is right, dig deep and ask the questions that really make you think. Not sure why everyone in the office does something a certain way? Want to know the pros and cons of the industry your interning for? Wondering how the project you’re working on fits into the grand scheme of things? Ask. It’ll help develop a relationship with the co-worker your interrogating, and you will leave knowing more than ever before. Remember, knowledge is power.

6. Don't Be Afraid To Make A Suggestion

This one can be tricky, but if done correctly can definitely be used to your advantage. If at any time you see a change that could be implemented to better suit the company you are interning for, don’t be afraid to speak up. Maybe there’s a better computer program out there than the one being used, or a better way to video chat for group meetings. As millennials, it is our civic duty to stay updated on the newest technologies, apps, and programs that can be used to make everyone’s life easier. Make sure you do your research before suggesting a new way of doing things, and expect that your suggestion may be turned down. But in the end, know that your bravery and willingness to help will be appreciated, and if the suggestion works, you’ll be remembered as the intern who saved the day.

7. Write Thank You Notes

At the end of your internship, you will more than likely be bombarded with several people stopping to say thank you for the work you did. Although a thank you should be in order for the semester of free or lowly paid work you did, in the grand scheme of things you should be thanking them. Think about it; the company doesn’t have to have an internship program. Odds are they are doing it because they love giving young adults the opportunity to learn and gain experience. You spent your time making connections, working on various projects, and adding something to your resume. Even if the internship made you realize you don’t want to work in that specific industry, you still owe the company a thank you. Writing a thank you card is a simple and classy way of showing the people you spent months working with that you truly appreciate the time they invested in you. These are the people who will be a reference for when you get a job in the future, so writing a sincere thank you note is an easy way to show your appreciation and leave the company on the right foot.