7 Simple Ways To Be More Respectful

7 Simple Ways To Be More Respectful

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

1199
rawpixel at unsplash.com

To be respectful, we need more than a catchy song that spells out the word. We need practical ideas on how to do this on a daily basis. This list came from doing some easy research into my heart (and a little bit online). Check out these seven ways to be more respectful!

Pay attention to others

Pay attention to others in class, to friends when they are talking, and to the instructions on assignments. There is something really courteous about extending a true listening ear to others. I sometimes volunteer with kids in an after-school program. When I sit with them during snack time, all of them interrupt each other to get my attention because they know I am listening. It happens because they all want to be heard.

Use people's names

There is power in using people's names. During sorority recruitment, I wasn't trying to convince the girls I talked to into joining my sorority. I knew that was a choice they alone could make. Instead, I wanted them to be seen as individuals - so I looked each girl in the eye and used their names. I made some friends that way, all because I used people's names.

Have a bed time and stick to it

Unless you are at a sleepover, have a bed time and stick to it. If you aren't getting enough sleep, your body will not be able to function well and that will end in some sort of disaster for you. You will either be sleep deprived or really cranky - and being cranky decreases most people's probability of being respectful.

Allow people to be different than you

Allow people to have different personalities, opinions, types of humor... the list goes on. This is important because not everyone is the same! And our individuality should be recognized, respected, and encouraged.

Let people have their space

Here are some ideas of respecting people's space:

- Don't overstay your welcome at another person's house

- Don't be clingy by over calling or over messaging someone

- Don't touch someone unless they say it is okay (not everyone appreciates hugs)

Of course, there are exceptions to these rules, but these ideas are pretty helpful to keep in mind.

Meet deadlines

Respect the people in charge of you by meeting deadlines and being punctual. Time is what constitutes our lives, and respecting deadlines is an easy way to make other people's lives easier.

Don't over extend yourself

Every person has natural limitations in every aspect of life. With time, we all discover what these limits are through trial and error. Pay attention to your stress levels and respect yourself by taking care of yourself.

I hope this little list helps you reflect more on how to respect yourself and others!

Blessings,

Brooke