7 Ways To Accept And Be Confident In Your Body

As someone who has suffered from eating disorders throughout my life, accepting how I look in any way is difficult for me. Everyone suffers from not liking some part of themselves. I have an issue with my weight; however, it can be anything for anybody!

Usually, we hide what we don't like in photos and sometimes in real life. Most people who don't like their teeth smile with their mouths closed. I hate when people conform to society's beauty standards instead of being truly themselves.

But I am guilty of conforming to society's beauty standards I have seen photos of myself from an event and deleted all of them, leaving the event without memories. I don't try on certain clothes at the mall because I believe they won't look good on me. I shave, use makeup, and wear new trends.

While I am guilty of conforming to some beauty standards, some of them are hurtful and have a big influence on the development of eating disorders. Only seeing beautiful, thin people on social media, television, and in films can make some people feel terrible about themselves.

I think we can all benefit from accepting who we are and being nicer to ourselves! Someone may have a goal of losing 150 pounds. If he has lost 50 pounds so far, he should be proud of himself but still strive for more. So here are some tips for learning to accept how you look now and be confident in you.

1. Unfollow diet and fitspiration accounts on social media.

unfollow GIF

https://media.giphy.com/media/Pkijc1j18BuBq/giphy.gif

I talked about this in my article on limiting the sometimes toxic effect of social media on your psyche. Any account that makes you feel the way you are or how you look is wrong needs to GO!

Being healthy and fit looks different on different bodies. So if these accounts make you feel like you need to eat less than 20 grams of fat a day to look good, they are not good for you.

2. Follow body positive accounts.

https://www.facebook.com/scarrednotscared/photos/a.1539461246304557/2317534888497185/?type=3&theater

EveryBODY is beautiful. And some influencers on social media are known for showing that no matter what you look like, you deserve respect, can be happy and healthy, and are beautiful!

There are multiple platforms you can find body-positive bloggers and influencers on; my favorite site to use is Instagram. Some of my favorite accounts are @selfloveliv, @maryscupoftea, @lavender.lovegood, and @scarrednotscared (above) to name a few.

3. Get rid of clothes that no longer fit you.

MTV Style Shopping GIF

https://media.giphy.com/media/MEgGD8bV72hfq/giphy.gif

I know I often feel bad about my body when I have gained a bit of weight. If this happens and there are clothes in my closet that no longer fit at all, I get them out of my life. They are not good for my confidence.

It's okay to grow: physically and mentally. Sometimes something that used to fit you may not fit anymore. That doesn't mean you are fat, unhealthy, or unworthy of looking nice.

You could sell the clothes and go shopping with the money to buy some you feel confident in!

4. Write positive affirmations to yourself in a journal on the daily.

Adult Diary Journal

https://pixabay.com/photos/adult-diary-journal-notebook-book-1850177/

This is something I do every day! Whether or not you have people in your corner, you also need to believe in your worth. If it's difficult for you to do, writing positive affirmations about yourself down daily in a journal can trick your brain into believing them.

If you don't believe me, give it a try! When I first started writing nice statements to myself in a journal it was difficult. In time, it has gotten easier and made me feel better!

5. Surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself.

People Friends Couples

https://pixabay.com/photos/people-friends-couples-park-3755342/

If there are people making you feel bad about the way you look, like the Instagram accounts, they need to GO! We should all surround ourselves with people who bring us up, not those who put us down!

6. Fake it 'til you make it.

Sassy Told You So GIF

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o751YGCbwUc8nzcHe/giphy.gif

If you aren't feeling good about your body, do something else that makes you feel good when you go out. Get a massage or a Mani/Pedi. Color and cut your hair. Buy some cute accessories. So when you do go out you feel as confident you can be!

7. Get flexible.

Flexible Yoga GIF

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Zt0oBEanQv1Rdfy/giphy.gif

No matter your size, being flexible is a good way to work on your fitness and feel good about your body. Some people don't like working out and some people don't have the time. But if you have 5-10 minutes a day to stretch or do some yoga, it can really have an effect on your physical and mental health.

If you want to be more confident in who you are and accept your body, these tips are definitely going to help you get there! Don't be a victim of society's beauty standards. Be yourself and set your own standard!