12 Ways to be Successful at Doane

12 Ways to be Successful at Doane

Ever wanted to be successful in college? Here's a few ways.

26
12 Ways to be Successful at Doane
Free Motivational Quotes

There's plenty of freedom in college, but there's still those pesky responsibilities such as going to classes, making sure all your homework gets done, and getting that A grade on your exams. How does one get through all that successfully? Here's a tip or two to help you.

Are you new to Doane, an upper-class veteran or a worrying parent? These 12 ways of being successful is just what you might need:

1. Go to class!!!

It's as simple as that. You're not going to learn much outside of class. You may have a textbook but the professor knows a lot more and chances are you are going to hear exactly what will be on an exam IN class.

2. Do NOT skip.

You're paying for class so you must think it's okay to not go but what sense does that make? If you're paying for something don't you want to use it? Also, most professors take attendance and trust me, they know if you're not there. However, if you're sick please stay home and take care of yourself. ('Me' days are alright, but don't take too many.)

3. Stay off your phone in class.

Humans can't multitask, so don't try it. Whatever the newest post on Facebook is or if you're wondering what the Snapchat filters are for the day, it can wait. Paying attention in class isn't only going to help you but it also shows respect.

4. Pay attention.

Don't whisper to your friend while your professor is giving a lecture, it distracts others trying to learn and can disrupt the lesson.

5. Take notes.

Taking notes while you're reading the textbook is a great way to get information imprinted in your head. Add on to your notes in class and underline things the professor puts an emphasis on, chances are it's going to be on an exam.

6. Read the material.

No one likes to read long boring textbooks but unfortunately that's where most of the content is that your professor is teaching you.

7. Get a tutor.

Tutoring is free on campus and although the tutors are students they really know what they're talking about. The Academic Support office is in the Communications building near the library on 2nd floor, they're really nice and are always there to help.

8. Ask for help.

Your professors care about your academic success and most of them have office hours. If those times don't work for you, shoot your professor an email because they honestly want you to pass their class even if it seems like they're being harsh on their exams.

9. Keep your syllabi.

There is a lot of information on a syllabus such as; a tentative schedule, your professors office hours, the guidelines for your class, and all of them give information on how to get help if you struggle with a learning disability.

10. Study. Study. Study.

When your professor tells you to spend at least three hours outside of class for every hour that you're in class they tend to be right. It may not seem like there's enough time in the day but studying is the only way to get the concept of the subject. Of course, if you truly understand, don't waste your time on what you already know.

11. Take breaks.

It is important to study, but you need to take breaks. If you're reading a long chapter, stop half way and get some food, your brain needs energy and this is the best way to get it. If you have spent hours studying, stop and get outside take a walk around campus, call your parents (they miss you,) or go to Lincoln with a friend. A couple hours of fun is a great reward after a long study session.

12. GET SLEEP.

This is the most important of them all. Everything goes down the drain if you don't get rest. Your brain needs sleep so it can regurgitate all the information you have taken in by studying. Pulling all-nighters may seem fun at first but you'll regret it the next day when you fall asleep in class.

These are a few ways to help you be successful at Doane, but there are more and these may not all apply to you. Don't be afraid to ask anyone on campus for help because even if they don't know what to do, they're sure to know where to point you in the right direction to get what you need.