9 Ways To Make 2019 YOUR Year

9 Ways To Make 2019 YOUR Year

Make your New Year's resolutions realistic so they really count this year.

34

With each New Year, comes the circulating conversation about New Year's resolutions. You reflect on positive memories and mistakes you made this past year and make a list of things you want to improve about yourself or changes you want to make to your lifestyle in hopes you'll actually follow through with them. Too often do people commit themselves to following their resolutions for the first month of the New Year and end up losing motivation or becoming too busy with other things. Resolutions don't have to be these huge, hyped up, and unattainable goals that don't coordinate with your lifestyle. They can range as long as they're realistic and you can work them into your daily routine and truly commit to following them the whole year. "Going to the gym" will forever be a permanent resolution on the common New Year's list that's never successfully checked off.

Every year as you get older, you start to appreciate more and more what you once took for granted or no longer have. 2018 certainly had its ups and downs and from each experience, whether positive or negative, you learned something that will hopefully help you in a future experience. How can you make this next year even better than the last? This New Year is your fresh start. It's your chance to take a risk and set new goals that are realistic. Here are 9 ways you can make 2019 YOUR year and the year you can proudly say that you made an impactful change in your life.

1. Substitute the junk for some healthier options

We all know that as you get older, your body sure doesn't look like what it did in high school, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. Your metabolism slows down and you become more conscious of your exercise routines and diet. Maybe you're comfortable with your diet or maybe you're looking for a change. Whatever it is, it won't hurt to trade the bag of chips for a piece of fruit or swap the Diet Coke for water once in a while. You'll feel better and your body will thank you. There are so many popular diets out there now, such as Keto, Paleo, Vegan, and Gluten Free, that you may find you like and feel better about after trying out.

2. Find new ways to exercise

If you're intimidated by going to the gym or aren't a big fan of exercise machines, there are so many alternative methods of exercising out there that are worth trying. Take a yoga or Barre class, go for a bike ride, go for a long walk around the neighborhood, go for a hike, or go rock climbing. You can make it something social and go with a friend. You might even forget that you're exercising.

3. Put money aside and start saving

Things aren't getting any cheaper these days. The best thing you can do financially for yourself in this new year is to put some of that holiday gift money aside and start saving, especially if you have big expenses or a trip coming up. Take a little bit out of your earnings each week and add it to your savings. It doesn't have to be much, but every bit counts and soon enough you'll have quite a bit saved up.

4. Reconnect with old friends

Whether you've moved to a new place, are busy with work and family, or just haven't talked to some of your old buddies in a while, send a text or make a phone call to see how they're doing or set up a time to meet up. The effort goes a long way and it's always nice to rekindle old friendships.

5. Know your limits

Maybe you were too stressed out in 2018 because you took on too heavy of a load, said yes to too many things, or stretched yourself too thin. Maybe you felt like you didn't take on enough. Whatever it may be, it's important to know your limits and how much you can handle without being too overwhelmed and miserable. Say "yes" but make sure it's something you can fully commit to this year.

6. Go out of your comfort zone more

Why hold back from going out of your comfort zone? What are you waiting for? Speak up more, try something new, make a new friend, take that risk! It's 2019 after all.

7. Think more positively of yourself

Stop being so hard on yourself and thinking negatively. Positive motivation is the best way to help yourself succeed. You've had many accomplishments this past year that you should be proud of and you're going to have more this coming year. Give yourself some credit for the things you've succeeded in.

8. Spend less time on your phone and more time with those around you

Social media and the digital world is addicting and can consume all of your time. Limit yourself to the amount of time you spend on your phone. Spend more time with the people around you because as you get older, your time with them becomes more limited.

9. Live more in the moment and appreciate the little things

Don't get stuck in the past and don't wonder excessively about the future because you'll miss everything that's happening in the now. Appreciate what's happening now and live in it fully.