4 Ways Greek Life Has Made Me Grow

There are many different perspectives on Greek life as a whole. Most people I know who aren't associated with Greek life are more commonly the ones saying how it doesn't benefit you in any way, or mentions that it takes away from your academics, community involvement and so on. Personally, being a member of Greek life myself, I have to say that most of these assumptions and generalizations aren't true and, personally, Greek life has done nothing but help me grow. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Greeks support each other

Being in Greek life, I haven't just become close with just Greeks in my house, or those who wear the letters I have. Greeks from other houses support one another, and I have met some really great people in other houses because of the Greek community as whole. As close as we are with our specific fraternity or sorority, Greeks from other houses are constantly interacting with each other on many perspectives: academics, social, community involvement and many others.

2. You step out of your comfort zone

I've always been a shy and timid person, especially when it comes to meeting people. After becoming a member of the Greek community, it became a lot easier opening up to other people. Participating in all the activities Greek life really does, you learn how to interact with others in your community and get opportunities that other school organizations may not offer as much. These include interaction with other clubs/organizations and becoming involved directly with the community, allowing you to meet and get to know a greater deal of people than you would without Greek life.

3. It teaches you how to prioritize

Greek life, contrary to common generalizations, isn't all about just having fun and blowing off your commitments. After joining Greek life, I have become much more organized and focused on my future than prior to when I joined. Greeks understand that before going to school to participate in activities such as clubs/organizations, you're there for your education, and the success you have on your academics will determine the course of your future. The Greek community doesn't just support you prioritizing your academics along with other things that will benefit your future; they encourage it. In fact, Greek life at my school mandates that you achieve a certain acceptable academic standing before allowing for you to take on the challenge of Greek life.

4. It shows how hard work pays off.

Most people are immediately turned off from Greek life because of the stereotypes of pledging and pledge programs-- something that most Greek organizations choose to keep secret for nothing other than tradition. While committing yourself to a pledge program is hard work, it is nothing like the stereotypes. In fact, most Greek life has to submit their pledge programs to the school that recognizes them, ensuring that nothing is happening that would raise any level of concern. However, there is still a certain level of commitment you will have to make to your house, and not only when pledging. While being a member, holding positions, participating in community service and so on, you have to work hard to be successful in everything you do as a brother/sister, and this pays off. Proving your level of commitment to the house and working hard will better your house's well-being, all while shining a light on Greek life to show that we aren't all we're stereotyped to be.