7 Ways to Cope With End Of Semester Stress

The end of the semester can come crashing in like a freight truck with brakes that don't work.

49
Brooke Nobbs

For those in college, the end of the semester can come crashing in like a freight truck with brakes that don't work. It can be pretty stressful to deal with the work load that comes with the last few weeks of classes, but there are plenty of ways to deal with that stress.

1. Keep a detailed planner

To do lists can be great, and if that's you're cup of tea, go for it. However, keeping a detailed planner can be extremely helpful when the stress is building up. Between school work, finals around the corner, having a job, and trying to maintain healthy habits it can leave you wanting to stay in bed all day and avoid all responsibilities. A planner can help you mark what you need to get done and when so you can organize your thoughts and all the events that are seemingly piling up. Also by writing it down your brain can see exactly how much there is to do and that will help you calm down because it probably wont feel so overwhelming once you see it all on paper.

2. Keep a bullet journal

A bullet journal is just an expansion of a detailed planner, but moreso than just writing what you have to do, you write the weather for the day, what you plan on wearing. You can track your moods, your health habits (i.e., sleeping, water drinking, fruit and veggie consuming, work out, social, etc.) It's a great way to stay organized and keep track of everything all at once. It can also be extremely cute and colorful, there's a million tips on how to make bullet journals online that can help you.

3. Do some yoga or meditation

Okay honestly, no one is going to be a yoga guru overnight, but there's always a good time to start. You could go to target and purchase a mat and look up beginner youtube videos. Or you could just use your soft carpet. Or really, even just a beach towel. Yoga can help your mind and body get in touch, you'll also be left feeling extremely good afterwards. If you're not into all that bending or stretching, you could just do some meditation. Guided or not, it helps to get your mind and body in touch as well. It can relieve tension and stress because it require you to focus so completely on one thing and also unwind.

4. Take a break

One of the most important things to do if you're stressed or overwhelmed about something is take a break. I mean it. Your brain sometimes can not physically keep up with something when it starts to become overwhelming. You could get a headache, or the feeling that you just can't focus at all. It feels like your brain just wants to shut off. That's normal, human's don't handle stress very well. So take a break, put it all down and walk away. Watch your favorite show or go for a walk, but do something that takes your mind off of the task completely. After a few hours go back to it and try again. This is one of the most effective things you can do. Your brain doesn't need to be in overdrive and your mental health is way more important than all that other stuff, so just step back sometimes, it will be immensely helpful.

5. Comfort food

Okay, yes, I'll admit it. I love comfort food. I will look for any excuse to eat cheesy things, pasta, pizza, ice cream...you name it. But very seriously, comfort food can help you feel better in a lot of ways. As long as you're balancing it with healthy things to keep your mind clear. If you're tired, go ahead and get that coffee. Don't punish your body or your mind, especially after working so hard and being so stressed. Because stress doesn't only do a number on your brain but also on your body. Sometimes you just crave some comfort. Weather it's hot milky tea, or if it's chocolate ice cream. And that's okay and if you're stressed I encourage you to seriously reward yourself, because you have been working hard all this time even if it doesn't feel like it!

6. Don't overload your brain

As I touched on this a bit in number 4, your brain sometimes just can't handle everything all at once. Sometimes powering through isn't the best option. We've always been told that perseverance and pushing through things no matter what is how we should go about things, but seriously, sometimes you just can't. And there's literally nothing wrong with that. So seriously, don't go from one thing to the next until it's all done with zero breaks, and more importantly, don't cram. Whether it's studying or assignments that have a due date. Don't do that the night before, whether or not you can pass or get an A on the assignment doesn't mean you should treat your brain like that. Procrastination is a vice and I'd be lying if I said I didn't do it consistantly, but if you continue to put of everything until the night or morning before your mental health will take a serious toll. Let that brain have a little wiggle room.

7. Remember to breathe

Above all, breathe. Sit back and let yourself breathe. You have gotten through worse, you have gotten through similar, you will get through this. It's stressful, as the end of the semester always is, sometimes more than other semesters or sometimes less. Still, breathe and realize that no matter what this too shall pass, and you will come out proud of yourself and ready to take on whatever is next.