Watersports Tips

Training For Watersports Can Teach You A Lot About Your Character

Physical strength, mental attitude, persistence, and commitment.

169

Watersports are not easy, and to be successful, you have to be mentally and physically trained. Although wakeboarding, wakesurfing, and waterskiing are three different sports, the way to succeed in them is extremely similar, if not the same. These three sports require tremendous commitment, determination, and persistence when you are first learning. Watersports also entail people who are risk-taking and adventurous because swimming in deep and open waters can at often times scare people.

Since I recently learned how to wakesurf myself, I realized how easy it is to give up and become frustrated with the first few unsuccessful attempts. I learned that the key to success is to keep the mind concentrated and committed to standing up on the board and keeping balance once you are up. While my personal experience progressed, I learned that a few technicalities really show one's character in this sport, including physical strength, mental attitude, persistence, and commitment. These all portray the type of person you are within while practicing watersports.

Regardless of the fact that physical strength is beneficial for one's body and health, it is also an essential factor when playing sports. The strongest player is usually always at an advantage, but a misconception that is often believed is that dependent on the sport, athletes have upper body strength but do not have lower body strength and vice versa. This idea is untrue. No matter the sport, athletes need to be physically strong in all areas. Of course, some sports will require some muscles to be used and trained more than others, but overall, the whole body needs to be strong - especially in watersports.

I learned that in the case of watersports, it is very beneficial when you have a strong core, lower body, and upper body. Having strong legs is definitely necessary for getting up on the board and keeping your balance, but a strong upper body strength also comes into play. When being pulled by the boat, having strong arms is essential in being able to keep a strong grip while an immense amount of pressure from the boat is jolting you away. And lastly, surprisingly or not, having a strong core definitely aids in keeping the proper balance.

Now for those of you who have not realized this yet, mental attitude is everything. Being constantly frustrated and focusing on your failures will only result in harder obstacles and fewer successes. Keeping a positive mindset is very important throughout life. When practicing watersports, especially in the beginning, it is important to keep a positive attitude and remind yourself that anything is possible.

Even though you will fall many times, the sport is not impossible as long as you believe in yourself and keep trying. I learned that those who are ready to keep trying after their falls and reiterate that they want to "go again" are the people who succeed the fastest when they are first learning. These are the people that do not give up, which coincides with the idea of persistence and commitment.

People who start off start off determined and committed to riding - no matter what - are the people who are often the most successful in the sport. When this person has tried over 8-10 times and are not giving up, or when he/she doesn't wait around in the water; instead they quickly ask for the rope so they can try again, or when he/she asks for tips - that's when the person is demonstrating natural commitment and is ambitiously eager to succeed. If these qualities are portrayed while practicing the sport, then it is most likely reflecting the aspiring and enthusiastic character that lives within the person.