5 Daily Changes That Conserve More Water Than You Think

Gallons and gallons of water are wasted and we don't even realize it.

15
"Water" by Zaytsev Artem on Flickr

Why should we conserve our water? As our most precious resource, water is used to wash dishes, laundry, cars, our teeth, and us during baths and showers. Water is also used to keep our gardens healthy and when we need a quick drink from the faucet. The amount of consumption is endless, so if we're liberal with our water usage, we're spending a lot of energy. Water, after all, takes quite the trip to reach our homes, whether it's bottled or from the sink. The purification process alone has at least five steps, starting with tests for contaminants and ending with disinfection. That costs time, money, and a lot of energy.

With our planet in an environmental crisis, take some steps to conserve your water usage. You can start with the following 5:

1. Buy a Reusable Water Bottle

Reusable water bottles are fantastic, because as the name suggests, you can use them again and again! You'll limit your carbon footprint by simply using your tap (you can invest in a filter if the idea of tap water isn't favorable) and save money since you're not buying plastic bottles in bulk anymore. Considering less than 20 percent of plastic bottles are recycled in the U.S., reusable water bottles not only help toward water consumption but pollution too.

2. Turn the Faucet Off While You Brush

That means shaving and washing faces too. When you think about it, there's really no reason to keep the water running while we're brushing. At the most, all it does it provide a bit of background noise.

3.)Wash Laundry and Dishes Only When It's Full

Consolidating washes both with clothing and dishes ensure a limit on your water consumption. You don't have to overstuff the machines, but make sure what you're cleaning is a full load. Also, if you like to wash towels after one use, you don't have to. They stay clean after a few showers and face pats.

If you can, invest in energy-efficient, environmentally-friendly machines as well. They truly do make the difference.

4. Shorter Showers

On the topic of sustainability, the University of Richmond reports: "Reducing your shower time by 2 minutes can save 6 gallons of water a day which will add up to over 2,000 gallons a year," which are significant numbers. You can also make a difference by using warmer water instead of simply hot, as the cooler the temperature, the less energy used.

5. Promote Soil Retention In Your Garden

The texture of your soil makes all the difference when it comes to retention of water. There's sand, silt, and clay, with clay being the best in not losing moisture. The presence of compost and manure also make a big difference. This is a great guide, as it provides details on how to shape your garden and add a few things here and there to improve water retention in your garden's soil.