11 Things I Learned Since I Started Watching 'Yes Theory'
Social Media

Just say yes.

863

"Yes Theory" is a YouTube channel founded on the principle of saying yes and seeking discomfort in our lives. They do everything from travel adventures like trying to survive in a city they've never been in without their wallet, organizing epic parties in 24 hours, and even challenged Will Smith to bungee jump out of a helicopter (which he accepted!). They also try to meet and get strangers to be spontaneous and participate in these adventures.

From convincing strangers to skydive on the spot, taking their Tinder date to a foreign country on the first date, and even getting strangers to participate in random acts of kindness. "Yes Theory" relies on the kindness and spontaneity of the human race to prove that maybe people aren't so bad after all. Here are 11 things I've learned since I discovered the "Yes Theory" YouTube channel.

1. Kind People Exist Everywhere

If there's one thing that's obvious from "Yes Theory" videos, it's that kind people exist on every corner of the Earth. From their videos where they must rely on strangers to eat, find lodging, and get around an unfamiliar city, every single time they have succeeded (albeit not without some struggle and doubt and sometimes last minute). People are always willing to lend a hand no matter where you are in the world.

2. It's OK To Say No Sometimes

The members of "Yes Theory" are all about saying yes, but they never push someone to say yes. While encouraging their followers and strangers to get out of their comfort zones, they acknowledge that getting over your fears and insecurities is something everyone has to do at their own pace. Plus, sometimes you just have to go to work, so you can't say yes.

3. Everyone Has A Story

Every single person featured in a "Yes Theory" video has a story. From the cancer survivor Ammar switched lives with for a day to the man living in Colombia's notoriously dangerous neighborhood, everyone has a story to share and "Yes Theory" uses their platform to share these stories.

4. Stop Saying Someday

We all say we'll travel abroad someday or will get around to doing the things on our bucket list, but if not today, when? While it's not feasible to do everything right away, actively working towards your dreams not only feels good but help you actually accomplish them.

5. Put Yourself Out There

As a self-described introvert, putting myself out there felt uncomfortable and awkward. However, I realized that every time I accomplished something in my life, I had taken a risk and put myself out there. The worst someone can say is 'no', so apply for that job you're not qualified for, but would love and say yes next time your friends want to go out to the karaoke bar. You never know what could happen.

6. Being Spontaneous Can Lead To Great Things

Again, as someone with anxiety and who is introverted, I'm a planner and become anxious when plans don't work out or change suddenly. However, I've realized that sometimes spontaneity isn't always stressful and negative. It can lead to great experiences and meeting new people you wouldn't have otherwise.

7). Getting Over Your Fears Is A Process

Getting over your fears isn't easy. "YesTheory" has many videos where they ask strangers what their fears are, what their insecurities are, or if they have a particular fear. Those willing to admit and accept their fears are then propositioned with something that could help them conquer that fear (whether it be reaching out to strangers on the street, riding in a helicopter with the doors open, or skydiving). However, no one is pressured into conquering their fears right away, and even the members of "Yes Theory" have talked about the processes and struggles it took to overcome their own fears and insecurities.

8. Never Let Failure Stop You

Failure is something we all experience at some point in our lives, but we can't let failure allow us to become stagnate and stuck in our city, our way of life, our group of friends. We need to get outside of these things and outside of ourselves. Failure just means that you tried something once and it didn't work out.

9. Don't Be Afraid To Trust

The amount of trust "Yes Theory" puts into the human race is an amount I didn't think I would be capable of. They trusted strangers enough to hitchhike, they trust that people will show up for the parties they plan, and their trust that their followers will support them all around the world. In turn, they ask that their followers and strangers trust them to take them on mind-blowing experiences or to take them halfway across the world on a whim.

10. Be Vulnerable

The creators of "Yes Theory" have had their own insecurities and struggles broadcast to their followers and they haven't shied away from these struggles. Struggles with mental health, family, visas, and their own fears have allowed everyone to see that the minds behind "Yes Theory," while they do things many people are afraid to do, do have their own fears as well. It encourages me to show my own vulnerabilities, but also question them.

11. Say Yes!

If there's one takeaway from "Yes Theory," it's to say yes as much as you possibly can. It can be simple. Maybe you decide to say yes to going out with friends of friends, to going to a concert or convention, or to going on a spring break road trip. Your yeses don't have to be grand, but the results will certainly lead to new friends and unforgettable memories.