Why Everyone Should Watch TED Talks

Why Everyone Should Watch TED Talks

"Ideas worth spreading"

297
Why Everyone Should Watch TED Talks
TED blog

During my second semester of college, I took an introduction to business class, in which we watched news snips or informational videos every day. Many of these days, we watched TED Talks, and at the time I didn't really realize how popular or necessary they were. They seemed like videos to take up time in class so our professors didn't have to teach the information -- they could just teach us through the videos.

Fast forward a year and a half. This semester, I have made a conscious effort to do anything and everything to better myself. I got a second job, have tried much harder in classes, and have tried to learn anything possible outside of the classroom. I have an entire folder on my phone with "Learning" apps, to teach me anything from geography to sign language. Of these apps, my favorite by far is that of TED Talk. All in all, TED Talks consist of influential community members sharing their experiences and ideas through short but powerful talks. TED (Technology, Entertainment, and Design) began in 1984, and has since grown into over 2,300 different talks in over 100 languages.

So, who should watch TED Talks? That is simple -- everyone. Since it is individuals performing and spreading their own ideas, there are talks about nearly any subject. Are you a feminist who loves dance? You should watch "Ballroom dance that breaks gender roles." Are you interested in pairing science with happiness? You should watch "The surprising science of happiness." Are you starting a job where you'll hold your first management position and aren't sure how to manage a team? You should watch "How great leaders inspire action." There is literally something to attract anyone. If you're feeling lazy and don't want to sift through all of these talks, you can click on the "surprise me" button, which will either choose a talk from a category you select or literally pick something completely random.

Regardless of your interests, the point I'm trying to make here is, you should watch TED Talks. They are all incredibly interesting, and you learn at least one new thing in each video. On the bus, during lunch at work, or before you go to bed, you should watch, and learn.