Wanting More And Where To Find It

Wanting More And Where To Find It

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."

8
Wanting More And Where To Find It

I'm sure many of you have felt the calling to know more about Jesus and to be closer to Him. I felt that calling at a very young age and I was constantly trying to learn more. The biggest question I had was about what it meant to be a Christian and how I was supposed to act. I found a lot of answers when I read the book of Ephesians.

Ephesians 2 talks about how we are made alive in Christ, and that even though we have strayed and disobeyed, he is gives us new life. In Ephesians 3, Paul is praying for everyone to understand how much God loves us. He is praying that we experience the greatness of God and that we will be made complete through Him. And then in Ephesians 4 Paul talks about how we should live as Christians.

Ephesians 4:17-24 reads: "With the Lord's authority I say this: Live no longer as the Gentiles do, for they are hopelessly confused. Their minds are full of darkness; they wander far from the life God gives because they have closed their minds and hardened their hearts against Him. They have no sense of shame. They live for lustful pleasure and eagerly practice every kind of impurity. But that isn't what you learned about Christ. Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from Him, throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God - truly righteous and holy."

When I first read that, it took me a while to figure out what all of that meant, so I'm going to break it down. In this passage, Paul talks about how the Gentiles need to leave behind their old sinful ways and strive to become more like Christ each day. He noted that even though we have turned over a new leaf for Christ, we don't automatically have great thoughts and wonderful attitudes, but that over time the Holy Spirit changes us.

Some of the biggest things I have struggled with while being a Christian are falling into peer pressure (temptations), and being a hypocrite. I'll talk about not doing something, and then the next thing I do is exactly what I just said not to do. It's never anything major, but it's still something I shouldn't do and should avoid.

Another thing that I struggled with in the past was speaking out. A lot of times our silence in a situation can be interpreted as approval. If you don't feel right about a situation, or your friend starts doing things that you don't think they should, speak up. I don't mean being a tattle tale, but go have an honest conversation with them about it. Tell them how you feel about it; voice your opinion.

"Be careful how you live. Don't live like fools, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do" (Ephesians 5:15-17).

God needs people who are willing to take a stand for what is right.

Remember that while being a Christian, you are called to also be humble, kind, patient, gentle, and loving. You should treat everyone as you would like to be treated. You are not to judge others, but to love them. Nobody is perfect, not even Christians.