Walmart Requires Masks Now, And I'm Here For It
News

This major retailer has finally stepped up.

9

It's no secret that the United States has suffered thus far throughout the pandemic, showing major suffering when trying to cap the number of cases and protect its citizens. While some of the problem comes from the officials that run the country, other problems come from those who believe that the masks are not going to work or that we are all just being groomed for a vaccine. While I've always been for the masks, and fully intend to jump on that vaccine when it's been released, I live in an area where masks are often seen as pretty ridiculous.

I believe that had the companies that essentially monopolize the market of groceries had required masks from the beginning, especially when those who should have been protecting us failed by pretending this virus doesn't exist or recommending cures that are ineffective, we might have been able to avoid facing hundreds of cases and hundred of exposures. While a single exposure doesn't guarantee the virus, and a single mask doesn't fully protect from the virus, it is well-documented that a facial covering will significantly lower the risk of the virus.

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com

Masks aren't always the most comfortable, and with the weather we can find in central Indiana, it can at times feel like pulling off your mask will result in your skin melting off. However, this new development where Walmart as a whole requires masks makes me feel a whole lot better, for two reasons.

1. Anti-maskers will either have to wear a mask or get out.

People who don't wear masks stress me out, especially as someone who lives with some who is at the highest risk of getting COVID-19. Maybe a mask isn't entirely foolproof, but it's going to work a lot better than standing in a store with a bunch of crazy people with no understanding of personal space. There is an argument that masks take away the freedom of choice (which by the way is not in the Bill of Rights) but rather I feel that it allows you to choose to risk the lives of others in an entirely different location than my own. I don't need whatever you're carrying, COVID or otherwise.

2. Walmart is now going to be in control when the officials can't.

This country failed when it came to preventing COVID-19, and while I work hard to do my part, I find myself faced with headlines about how we are all "sheep" when we wear masks and consistently wash our hands, or headlines about some other "miracle cure" that POTUS is promising. While there isn't a cure or a vaccine yet, I at least know someone cares enough to try and prevent more spreading of a dangerous virus.

If Walmart loses customers over this, that's just better news for me. I am here for this change, and I, for one, am glad that there will no longer be anti-maskers placated because no one is enforcing masks in my area. If you don't want to wear a mask, that's your prerogative, but just know that I will be glad not to see your face in Walmart. Walmart has been my retailer of choice for years, a place where I know that the products are affordable and generally higher quality than the credit they receive. Now, I know that this will remain my retailer of choice, because they stepped up to change some things around and make things a hell of a lot better. So anti-maskers, I don't care if you think I'm just following the flock and I don't care if you think Walmart's dumb, because at least this corporation you call heartless, has the heart to care about others when you don't.