Walking Away

Walking Away

Sometimes we need to learn how to just walk away from a bad thing.

55
Walking Away
James Bellwood

It was just another fight, another slap in the face, another night spent crying, another blow to your confidence, and another thing you will wake up to, full of regret but desire to make better. We have all been at a point in our lives where we needed to walk away but didn’t. It might have been a relationship, a friendship, a job, or even a dream.

There seems to be a misconception that circulates through society like an ominous plague. It twists itself around your mind telling you that you are weak for giving up and you should fight through your doubts. “It must be a test. It will get better. Time will take care of it,” you tell yourself over and over again. Unfortunately, it usually doesn’t and possibly never will, that is of course unless you learn how to walk away.

It seems that the quickest way to finding someone’s passion is through their heart. The things we cherish most in life are the things that we are most likely to hold onto until the last thread is snapped, even after the rope has broken. People’s willingness to sacrifice for something or someone is one of the most powerful examples of how extraordinary we are. However, I often wonder if we forget how to let go. Do we get so caught up in the fear of losing what we have that we become blinded and fail to see the greater potentials that lie down another path?

It is okay to make mistakes in life. We often learn more from our failures than our successes, for good reasons. It is because our failures hurt and, often, pain can become a part of you that you never let go. So we do everything in our power to avoid failure. Comforting ourselves with false promises, telling ourselves things will get better. This is where I think we need to learn to draw the line. We need to realize that it is alright for us to fall down and get hurt. Why? Because we are stronger when we learn how to stand up again.