5 Things You Need To Do In The Wake Of The Election
Politics

Hillary Clinton may not be the President-elect, but here is what you can do for yourself and for America.

13
Max Ostrozhinskiy

Right now I could write about who is at fault for the outcome of this election. I could write about what we should have done to have stopped this. I could write about how disappointed I am in America. I could do lot of things that won't change the fact that Hillary Clinton will not be president in January. I'm not saying this isn't a time to critique and question what got us here, because it is. What I'm saying is that I know that for myself, and for many others, in times of grave despair, I have to do something. So here are 5 things you need to do now that the election is over:

1. Be There For Your Friends, Family, Co-workers, Classmates, and Strangers.

Hug your best friend, be a strong ally for your LGBT classmates, send your co-worker a supportive text, smile at the lady crying on the bus. We must be kind to those who are hurting. Kind to those who are scared for themselves, for their loved ones, their partners and children. Take care of one another, because regardless of who is leading our nation, we can still be compassionate, loving, and strive to make changes.

2. Throw Your Support Behind Special Interest Organizations.

Women, LGBTQ folks, Persons of Color, Immigrants, and so many other interest groups need you now more than ever. Be it your time or your money, now is the time to support the organizations whose advocacy efforts have now become so much harder. Give to Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, RAINN, or any other group that speaks for the many groups of people frightened at what can happen over the next four years. Jezebel has compiled a comprehensive list of organizations to support here.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
~Margaret Mead

Sign up for a newsletter, donate $5, or like a page on Facebook. Now is the time to be informed of what is happening and what you can do to fight for your rights, and for the rights of others.

3. Take Care of Yourself.

Take a mental health day, spend a night with friends, watch your favorite movie. Do whatever you need to do so you can get through this week, this month, the next 4 years. You can't do any good if you aren't taking care of yourself. I feel like there is so much I need to do right now. So many causes I have to throw my full support behind, so much information to disseminate, there's just so much that needs to be done. But I need to give myself a chance to breathe before I run myself into the ground, and you do too. Allow yourself a moment to feel hopeless, to feel defeated, and to be disappointed. But do not wallow. Do what you need to do so that you can come at tomorrow with all the strength we need to fight for our country and our human rights.

4. Take Care of Your Health NOW, Especially If You're LGBTQ or a Woman.

Health care may look very different next year. Schedule a doctors appointment ASAP. If you're able to bear children and are looking for birth control, figure out your options NOW. Multiple articles are talking about IUD's (like this one from Jezebel and this one from ) and how they may a great option for women with the future of reproductive rights hazy. Find LGBTQ therapists and health care providers who you can trust. With a VP who's supported conversion therapy about to take office, find the social workers, therapists, and health professionals who will not stand for the inhumane and unethical treatment of LGBTQ individuals.

5. Recognize and Support the Political Progress That Was Made Last Night.

I know, it's hard to look at the silver lining when you feel like you've been shot through the chest and thrown into shark infested waters, but there definitely is some good that came out of last night. We now have more women of color in the Senate including the first Latina woman! Multiple states passed progressive laws regarding recreational and medicinal marijuana use! Laws increasing minimum wage were passed in four states! We cannot ignore who will be taking office in January, but we can support that progress was made across the country, even in the wake of a devastating presidential election.