VP Selections: What They Each Bring To The Ticket

"I am vice president. In this I am nothing, but I may be everything." — John Adams

5

In recent days, both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have chosen their running mates and most people who are not politically active have not previously heard of either candidate's VP pick. In this article I have tried to dissect both vice president choices and what they bring to the ticket.

Donald Trump Picks Governor Mike Pence As His VP:

Just a few days before the Republican National Convention, Donald Trump picked Indiana Governor, Mike Pence, as his running mate. Mike Pence represented Indiana’s second congressional district in the United States House of Representatives from 2001 to 2013 and has been serving since 2013 as the Governor of Indiana. Mostly unknown but outspoken, Mike Pence brings some credibility to a Trump ticket with the Republican leadership. Governor Pence also adds some experience navigating the halls of the political world to an "outsider's" campaign. Although many are pointing out the vast contrast between the attitudes of Trump and Pence, that very well could have a lot to do with the pick. Pence is calm and brings a sense of clarity to a far too often, dramatic and rambunctious Trump ticket. I think the two even each other out and have the potential to bridge the gap between the far too divided Republican party.

Pence has a generally conservative record but at times has been labeled as establishment. Mike Pence was one of 25 Republicans who opposed the No Child Left Behind Act, putting his name on the map early in his career. In 2002 he voted in support of the Iraq war, an issue on which he and Donald Trump differ completely. He also has supported and continues to support free trade and the Trans — Pacific Partnership, while Donald Trump has been adamant against the deal. While he may be more moderate on some issues, when it comes to abortion he is further right than Trump. Pence supports banning all abortion and is completely committed to the pro-life movement and sees this as one of the only areas he will not compromise. Mike Pence may not draw in a certain voter base but he has the potential to pull the GOP together and if he can, that may be the single most important factor of Trumps campaign during the general election.

Hillary Clinton Picks Senator Tim Kaine As Her VP:

On Friday Hillary Clinton announced fairly popular Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia as her running mate.Tim Kaine has been a lifelong politician holding five elected offices. In 1994 Kaine was elected on to the Richmond city council and later assumed office as the Mayor in 1998. From 2002 to 2006 Kaine was the Lieutenant Governor of Virginia and in 2006 Kaine took office as the 70th Governor of Virginia. Most recently Kaine assumed office as a United States Senator from Virginia. Tim Kaine also served as chairman of the Democratic National committee from 2009 to 2011. Hillary Clinton told PBS that she was avoiding taking a chance with a less experienced vice-presidential candidate and decided not to take the risk of adding another woman to an already historic ticket. Hillary Clinton playing it safe and predictable could be a mistake when it comes to a very unpredictable general election against Donald Trump.

While Senator Kaine and Mrs. Clinton have similar positions on some issues, Kaine is far more moderate than Mrs. Clinton. With her having the liberal base locked in it may be best for her to attempt to snag some more moderate Democrats and possibly even the middle of the aisle "never Trump" crowd.

With a large amount of undecided and dissatisfied voters, both candidates rush to the middle of the aisle with more moderate running mates. While Kaine has never lost an election, and Pence has never brought together an entire party, there are four months for these two Vice Presidential nominees to find their place in this year’s election.

Find out more about Tim Kaine here: http://www.kaine.senate.gov/about

Find out more about Mike Pence here: http://www.in.gov/gov/2358.htm