VP Candidates Clash On The Debate Stage, But Will It Make An Impact?

Probably not

4
NBC News

Tuesday night, as the sequel to the highly anticipated first presidential debate, the vice presidential candidates faced off. Democratic Vice Presidential nominee,Tim Kaine and Republican Vice Presidential nominee, Mike Pence debated at Longwood University in Virginia. This being the only debate this year between these two candidates, seemingly did little to help undecided voters move closer to a decision.

The subjects covered in the debate were similar to those in the debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, although the focus was much more on the presidential candidates than on the men on stage debating that night.

Additionally, while most people assumed they wouldn't be missing much in this debate, it was arguably much more fiery than the debate between the main candidates. Both men interrupted and spoke over each other throughout, the worst point being when both candidates had to be silenced by moderator Elaine Quijano who said, as if she were speaking to school children, "The people at home cannot understand either one of you when you speak over each other. I would please ask you to wait until it is that the other is finished."

According to a CNN/ORC instant poll, Pence did slightly better in the debate than Kaine. This seemed to be the general consensus throughout the media in the days following. But unfortunately for Pence, he has the peculiar role of being the number two candidate. Did Pence outperform Kaine? Arguably yes. But did the Republican ticket beat the Democratic ticket that night? No.

Despite Pence's showing, whenever Kaine brought up any of the multitude of problems with Trump as a candidate, Pence dodged the question or tried to change the subject. That resonated with the public. So despite not doing as well as his opponent, in a way Kaine did his job perfectly.

In a VP debate, the key is to defend your presidential candidate while attacking your opponent's (the main candidate has to be dignified and "presidential", the VP has to be the attack dog). Pence seemed more prepared for a presidential debate, but not to be second fiddle to Trump. That is exactly why his performance Tuesday will do little to affect the rise in support the Democrats have seen since the first presidential debate.